M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hypothetical of course.

If you were going to build a substantial inventory of only ONE load to be used in all situations (CQB, defense, hunting, etc.) and in all of your 7.62x51 firearms (semi, bolt, etc.) what would it be?

I'll start. This is my choice mainly from a financial and availability standpoint. I am sure there are more effective rounds, but I probably couldn't afford to build a substantial inventory.

147 Gr. M80 Ball loaded over 42 Gr. of H4895 in LC cases.

LOL - I certainly caused a stir by typing 22 grains instead of 42 grains of H4895. GI3

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
168gn hpbt.
Holla

Dutch

Reactions: MtTom

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I don't know what load it is, I'm not a reloader so I don't pay attention, but they are match loads. The 150gr HPBT I have is silver state armory. The 168 match is a mixture of mostly federal and ultramax. The m80 I have in bulk is CBC. I'd think I'd rather have less of better ammo then more of cheap ammo but I don't know maybe not.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Im not a reloader either. But Id stick with the surplus ball ammo. My second choice would be 168grn because (in my opinion) its the second most common round I come across.

(Only considering 308 of course)

·
Registered
559 Posts
I prefer my loads of 168 grain nbt bullets with varget. Took a doe last year with it and it's a pretty good accuracy load as well. Not quite on pat with the m118lr through my bolt gun but a good all around load

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
150 gr Nosler BT, CCI M34 primer, 44.0 gr IMR 4895, in either a WCC military case, or an IMI match case.

This load is very accurate in my rifle (MOA-), and has killed quite a few hogs and deer with one well placed shot in each. I'm sure it would give very good performance on other types of unarmored targets.

If I ever run out of Nosler BT's, I'll sub Hornady 155 gr A Max or Sierra 155 gr MatchKings. Failing that, I have a goodly supply of surplus Radway Green ball that shoots 4 MOA in my rifle.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
M80 ball ammo... (my stash is mostly Prvi and RG) and my M80-equivalent load of a 145-149grn FMJ boolit over 43grn IMR4895. I have both the Hornady 155grn A-Max and 168grn Noslers, but not in any quantity should the End of the World come.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hypothetical of course.

If you were going to build a substantial inventory of only ONE load to be used in all situations (CQB, defense, hunting, etc.) and in all of your 7.62x51 firearms (semi, bolt, etc.) what would it be?

I'll start. This is my choice mainly from a financial and availability standpoint. I am sure there are more effective rounds, but I probably couldn't afford to build a substantial inventory.

147 Gr. M80 Ball loaded over 22 Gr. of H4895.
You sure that's 22 grains? Seems kind of light to me. Hodgdon's has a min of 41 gr and a max of 45 for the 150 gr .30 bullets.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Mine are 130 gr OTM MK319 MOD 0 projectiles, Ramshot TAC, GGG or LC cases with CCI #34 primers.
These are more accurate than the M80 projectiles and are barrier blind.
But most of all they were designed for use with a carbine length barrel in mind.
Perfect for my Socom 16.

Glenn

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You sure that's 22 grains? Seems kind of light to me. Hodgdon's has a min of 41 gr and a max of 45 for the 150 gr .30 bullets.
Well, this load shoots very well in all of my semi-autos (M14, FAL, PTR, AR-10, etc.). Have not chrono'd it yet but guess it is a little slower than M80 surplus. Those figures you have might be for bolt rifles. I prefer to run my semi's a little slower so as to not beat them up too much.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Wrong forum

This is the ammunition forum not the tinfoilery.

Match bullets may be accurate but they do not expand well. This is why the military still uses them. So I'd say if you plan to shoot head shots all the time go for fgmm or load with the SMK.

In my head those scenarios involve killing game so I would want a better performing round for that purpose.

Even if I had to defend against bandits or something I would aim center mass and would again want better expansion.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Either you fat fingered the keyboard or you're one of those wannabe types. 22 grains of H4895 wont even operate the action in an M1A, you are right about one thing though, it would produce slower muzzle velocities...in fact, you wouldn't get speeds much faster than a pistol... DI5

It just occurred to me though, there is one possible use for a ridiculously light load like that, I'll wait and see if somebody mentions it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Either you fat fingered the keyboard or you're one of those wannabe types. 22 grains of H4895 wont even operate the action in an M1A, you are right about one thing though, it would produce slower muzzle velocities...in fact, you wouldn't get speeds much faster than a pistol... DI5

It just occurred to me though, there is one possible use for a ridiculously light load like that, I'll wait and see if somebody mentions it.
Possibly sub sonic for suppressed use, but like you said, it surely wouldn't cycle well, if at all. Even the reduced loads that are for low recoil in 125's and 130's are in the 35-37 gr range with either IMR or Hodgdon's 4895.

Hodgdon does say that H4895 may be used for even further reduced loads for cast bullets etc. by using the 60% rule. Go here:

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Yep, 22 grains won't do it. I don't have a clue why you would load one down that much, I would worry about a detonation with it.
A filler like polyester batting will hold powder in place and preclude detonation. I use it in all of my reduced loads, but I usually use something like SR 4759 for the powder.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Well, this load shoots very well in all of my semi-autos (M14, FAL, PTR, AR-10, etc.). Have not chrono'd it yet but guess it is a little slower than M80 surplus. Those figures you have might be for bolt rifles. I prefer to run my semi's a little slower so as to not beat them up too much.
No, my load and that range are for ALL rifles in .308 with 147-155 gr bullets, no matter the action type.

I can see running the FAL with the 22 gr load-as a single shot with the gas selector off-but not as a working semi auto. Hodgdon's own data supports this.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
IF money was no object, I would consider the Federal factory 150gr Barnes X.

It just might be the best of all worlds. It is accurate, expands well, penetrates game deep, and will penetrate intermediate barriers like AP rounds...
I have killed several animals with it.

I have also used the Winchester 168gr Ballistic Silvertip factory load. It too is very accurate and kills game very well.

If you are talking some sort of reload, I would pick the Sierra 165 gr HPBT Gameking over 39.5gr of IMR 3031. This load has been Match accurate [and reliable] in every 308 rifle I have shot it in and has killed game from bobcats and coyotes, to deer and some pretty big wild pigs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.