M14 Forum banner

SHTF book

7K views 54 replies 39 participants last post by  XSabers 
#1 ·
I was reading all the posts in the "How many mags?" thread, and you guys got me nervous. Any suggestions for a book for the SHTF situation? Thanks, Wavekatcher

#2 ·
Bro,

I have a long list of books. I'm not a militia, end of the worlder, hate the government ( even though we need a lot of changes made in my opinion) freak or anything. But I live in hurricane central. So, it's smart to be prepared.

Start with Patriots by James Rawles (fiction/quide book)

Then get his How to survive the end of the world as we know it. Its a how-to guide.

Let me know what you think about them.

Parashooter

#5 ·
those are the two i started with. one second after and patriots which are both good books and will give you alot to think about. rawles also has a blog called survivalblog.com alot of good info over there. he is ex us army intelligence officer and knows his stuff.

#7 ·
Patriots

So far I have bought 2 or 3 copies of Patriots...

After reading it, I lent it to a friend, who lent it to a friend (with permission) and gave it back. Then my Boss wanted to read it, who gave it to a family member, which then went to a friend of the family member (also with permission) and then it came back. Meanwhile I had bought another copy to read again, and another friend wanted it... So on and so forth.

All this to say, besides my books get around, That its a great book and well worth the read.

As for the One Second After, its on my phone (Kindle App on Android) and if I like it, I may buy a copy or 2....

#8 ·
More info

+1 on these 2 books I have them both and read them more than once you may also. some call me the crazy christian warrior but I read the bible it has some stuff in there called
prophecy about turmoil and one world order and suffering and such I highly recomend this non fiction book to all who read .
thanks and God bless!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

"All gave some but some gave ALL"

#10 ·
+2 on Patriots and One Second After

Also, i believe "Lights Out" is still available for PDF download.

To go with HH's suggestion on non-fiction: Encyclopedia of Country Living has become a constant fixture in my wife's hands on the weekends. It will push you in the right direction.

I have been reading the US Army Counter-Insurgency Field Manual for the last couple weeks as things are getting worse along our US/Mexico boarder are worse than the media is reporting...

(semi-opsec violation: I live within 20 minutes of it)

#11 ·
What ive got

SURVIVE -Les Stroud

BUG OUT- Scott Williams

THE ARMAGEDDON SURVIVAL HANDBOOK-Rainer Stahlberg

COOKIN WITH HOME STORAGE- Vicki Tate

A self reliance guide from Backwoods Home Magazine.

#13 ·
I've got more fiction and not enough of the non-fiction.

'Lights Out' is not a download anymore, but has been published. I got a copy from Amazon just a few weeks ago. Great book. One Second After is good, too. Personally, I didn't like Patriot. Just not my style, I guess.

I have the same non-fiction books mentioned by others.

#17 ·
I read "Lucifer's Hammer" years and years ago when it was first published. I've got to dig that out and reread it. DI5

#21 ·
Patriots is a fun read, if verbose and disorganized at times. It gives an interesting insight into the hardcore survivalist/SHTF mentality of the author and what his assumptions are. There is some good info in there along with all the fantasy.

Another I really like is Alas, Babylon.

Neither are particularly realistic plot-wise, IMO. But they do make you think.

The Road is more entertainment, and not a fun one, but worth a read, IMO. Not really instructional or anything, but also makes you think. Very well written.

#25 ·
In science-fiction reads; "Lucifer's Hammer" is considered by many to be THE EOTWAWKI survival book. "Alas, Babylon" is another good book considering it was written back in the 1950's. It's main plus is the "think outside the box" theme in the book. "Malevil" is a big, long read that does tend to get a little dry at times, but does cover a lot of good points. "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing is both a nuc-war survival story and a how-to manual in one. "One Second After" is a good slap in the face, as it tells it like it is not only regarding EMP, but even a serious "Million-year" solar flare could have the same result in our electronic world.
In the non-fiction reads; definitely get the "Foxfire" series (IIRC, 9 -10 books)! A "how-to" from the 19th and early 20th century...before we got so used to 'soft' living. Well worth the money. One thing, one book covers the "old-time" religions in the mountains, not the usual "how-to" stuff. The books by Ewell (?) Gibbons; covers the edible foods found in the US in detail. Very useful in supplementing your food stash. "When There is No Doctor/Dentist", basic how-to medical and dental care when you can't run to the ER. An old "Boy Scout Manual" printed in the 50s, 60s, early 70s (before PC). Good field crafting, land nav and all around survival information. The Army and Air Force survival manuals; good manuals to have in your BU pack. For a true EOTWAWKI situation, "Gray's Anatomy" for seeing how the body works. "Meririck's Manual", an in-depth medical reference book for doctors. Gives symptoms and treatments for disease, injuries and the like. "The Physician's Deck Reference", a yearly reference book on drugs for doctors. Covers almost all drugs on the market today. Very in depth. I can't remember the name, but there is a manual for nurses that covers the treatment of patients in and out of the hospital. Good for treatment after they're stable and recovering. EMT manuals are good for on the scene treatment of injuries and illnesses. NOTE!!! Do not use the medical books as an "instead-of" seeing the doctor during normal times. If you use these books, it's only when the SHTF happens and there is no one available.

#26 ·
The books already mentioned, fiction and non-fiction are among the best current ones. I will add a couple of earlier classics. Both of them are cold war era, but surely nuclear holocaust is the ultimate survival situation....

"Farnham's Freehold" is a science fiction novel by Robert A Heinlein that had an early influence on me as a teenager. It's surprisingly un-PC by today's standards but also very entertaining. Heinlein's books rightly stay in print but you will never see the movie of this one- read it and find out why.

"Life After Doomsday" by Bruce Clayton was one of the first survivalist how-to books I ever found and, if you can find a copy, sets a lot of guidelines for beginners.

To these I will add the recently published books "Will To Live" by Survivorman Les Stroud, a very good book in which he critically reviews some of the more drastic and well-know survival real-life survival stories of the past 100 or so years, and "Deep Survival" by L Gonsalves- he does the same thing but with a religious bent for the religious (Glenn Beck put me on to that one).

#32 ·
The books already mentioned, fiction and non-fiction are among the best current ones. I will add a couple of earlier classics. Both of them are cold war era, but surely nuclear holocaust is the ultimate survival situation....

"Farnham's Freehold" is a science fiction novel by Robert A Heinlein that had an early influence on me as a teenager. It's surprisingly un-PC by today's standards but also very entertaining. Heinlein's books rightly stay in print but you will never see the movie of this one- read it and find out why.
QUOTE]

I had to go 'refresh my memory'! GI1

I was an avid Heinlein reader back in the '60's!

I can see Several Reasons Why 'FF' might not make it to the Big Screen!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnham's_Freehold

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

#28 · (Edited)
mtbikerwvu,

Ham sandwiches! How blasphemous to imagine that our Heavenly Father would even think to give his children something so
Obamanable to ingest, as filthy swine flesh, even in the worst of times. My dear friend, he is the same yesterday, today and forever and came not to do away with the law, but to fulfill it. Maybe you need to expand your reading of good morals to encompass more of the "old testiment" with stories about manna falling from heaven and how He fed 5000 with 5 loaves and 2 fishes in the "new", But my God shall supply ALL your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus, Ph'p 4:19. You mean we don't need insurance? But what if the house burns down or I get hit with cancer or someone steals the truck, or worse, loads the truck with my guns first, what then? Trust in Him brother, you're better off investing in assurance by having faith in His word, He's the best companion you can have. This in no way implies there aren't many other great books out there to sharpen your survival skills, I fully agree with you, there are, and we need them. Knowledge is power and His people are being destroyed for lack of. The time to get oil in your lamp is now, before the night cometh, and the bible was just one suggestion for survival tips in that time of darkness.BGRIN1

Your friend
Phinehas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.