M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading all the posts in the "How many mags?" thread, and you guys got me nervous. Any suggestions for a book for the SHTF situation? Thanks, Wavekatcher

·
Registered
413 Posts
Bro,

I have a long list of books. I'm not a militia, end of the worlder, hate the government ( even though we need a lot of changes made in my opinion) freak or anything. But I live in hurricane central. So, it's smart to be prepared.

Start with Patriots by James Rawles (fiction/quide book)

Then get his How to survive the end of the world as we know it. Its a how-to guide.

Let me know what you think about them.

Parashooter

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
add "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen to your reading list.
A real eye opener......GI3

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gentlemen, I have a couple on order to get me started. Happy shootin!

·
Registered
140 Posts
those are the two i started with. one second after and patriots which are both good books and will give you alot to think about. rawles also has a blog called survivalblog.com alot of good info over there. he is ex us army intelligence officer and knows his stuff.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Patriots

So far I have bought 2 or 3 copies of Patriots...

After reading it, I lent it to a friend, who lent it to a friend (with permission) and gave it back. Then my Boss wanted to read it, who gave it to a family member, which then went to a friend of the family member (also with permission) and then it came back. Meanwhile I had bought another copy to read again, and another friend wanted it... So on and so forth.

All this to say, besides my books get around, That its a great book and well worth the read.

As for the One Second After, its on my phone (Kindle App on Android) and if I like it, I may buy a copy or 2....

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
More info

+1 on these 2 books I have them both and read them more than once you may also. some call me the crazy christian warrior but I read the bible it has some stuff in there called
prophecy about turmoil and one world order and suffering and such I highly recomend this non fiction book to all who read .
thanks and God bless!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

"All gave some but some gave ALL"

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
My SHTF books go a different route then the others. Field Guide to North American Wild Plants is a staple for me.

HH

·
Registered
202 Posts
+2 on Patriots and One Second After

Also, i believe "Lights Out" is still available for PDF download.

To go with HH's suggestion on non-fiction: Encyclopedia of Country Living has become a constant fixture in my wife's hands on the weekends. It will push you in the right direction.

I have been reading the US Army Counter-Insurgency Field Manual for the last couple weeks as things are getting worse along our US/Mexico boarder are worse than the media is reporting...

(semi-opsec violation: I live within 20 minutes of it)

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
What ive got

SURVIVE -Les Stroud

BUG OUT- Scott Williams

THE ARMAGEDDON SURVIVAL HANDBOOK-Rainer Stahlberg

COOKIN WITH HOME STORAGE- Vicki Tate

A self reliance guide from Backwoods Home Magazine.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
I've got more fiction and not enough of the non-fiction.

'Lights Out' is not a download anymore, but has been published. I got a copy from Amazon just a few weeks ago. Great book. One Second After is good, too. Personally, I didn't like Patriot. Just not my style, I guess.

I have the same non-fiction books mentioned by others.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Three VERY useful books:

Defending Your Retreat
The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions
Gunsmithing With Simple Handtools

·
Registered
922 Posts
I read "Lucifer's Hammer" years and years ago when it was first published. I've got to dig that out and reread it. DI5

1 - 20 of 55 Posts