• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a thread of which is a better gun as each has it's plus's and minuses and it usually boils down to people's personal preferences and mission requirements. I know this is an m14 forum so one would think the outcome would be in favor of the M14. I have owned various versions of all three designs and like all three in deferent ways. Me personally if shtf I would most likely chose my arsenal Ak in an urban situation do to it's ruggedness and barrier penetrating capabilities. The ar is lighter but requires more maintanence to keep running and the m14 being a tad long and heavy for urban situations unless you could form some type of militia and use the 14 in dmr role for this survey if you were on your own with limited supplies and backup what would be the rifle of choice for you?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My 16" AR10 SASS. Reasonable weight, AR modular, .308, very good ergonomics, very maneuverable, sub moa. Have an Aimpoint M3 on an ARMS qd, and a Leupold VXR Patrol 1-4 on a Bobro, both sighted in ready to go form CQB to 500 yds.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I voted M16, and here's why: If SHTF, there would be an abundance of these laying around, so replacement parts and ammo would be plentiful. In terms of a "zombie apocalypse", you'd also be able to resupply off dead/overrun troops.

I love the M14, and I know you could take the 7.62 NATO off troops as well, but you won't find as many floating around.

·
Registered
692 Posts
AR15, lighter, more available ammo. Second choice would be my AR10 or M1A Loaded. Third will be my 416 Rigby in case they are wearing protective vests.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
I chose the m14 because I have the backup parts to build it five times over and have ammo on hand. Because I won't stay in the city, thats where you die, if help is long in coming.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Bugout meaning on the move, meaning eventually on foot, I'd take the M16 for portability, rifle and ammo both. But I don't really plan to be on the move, not that plans will probably count for much in those circs.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I also chose the AR15/M16 because I use one daily, have had extensive training in its use and the ergonomics/logistics characteristics are superior to most other weapon systems.

I would, however, go for a 20" rifle vs. the M4 carbine that I carry. The extra sight plane and ballistic efficiency are advantageous.

Ammo availability would no doubt be better, too.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AR15, lighter, more available ammo. Second choice would be my AR10 or M1A Loaded. Third will be my 416 Rigby in case they are wearing protective vests.
Yeah it was a tough choice for me between the ak and the ar. The ar can be made into a very lite weight carbine and the savings in ammo weight makes it very attractive. Throw a high quality optic on it and it turns into a great maneuverable carbine allowing you to comfortably carry around 300 rounds of ammo depending on what other gear you got. If I were to hunker down and hold out nothing beats a 308 but most likely your gonna be on the move trying to get to a better spot and in that instance the heavy 308 and to a lesser extent the 762x39 is gonna add considerable weight. I'd be happy with either my ak or one of m16's although I would probably rarely if ever use the fun switch unless I was clearing a structure or something. I love LOVE the m14 but in a situation like civil collapse the weapons weight, size and ammo weight could really put a guy at a disadvantage if he was on his own as appossed to being in an organized group that has banned together with each having different type weapons and skill sets

·
Registered
585 Posts
My choice (still): SOCOM 16 in a J-TAC Rogue stock. When I get skinny on ammo because I managed not to get dead after several gun battles (highly, highly unlikely), I'll pick up whatever assault rifle/ammo/mags the regime forces are using.

But, as one guy who started more than one flame war stated: "What makes you think you'll make it to the first mag change?"

Besides, a deer has a lot more calories than a squirrel.

Rich

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I'd head for canada. Canadian zombies are quite well mannered.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd be grabbing my SCAR 16.

If the woman was coming along that changes things. She gets the SCAR because she can shoot it well and can carry it easy enough, and I'd be carrying the M1A

·
Registered
990 Posts
For a "stand and hold" in an urban area controlled by a small group or a farmstead, the M14 gives you reach, and at least some anti-vehicle capability.

On foot with no transport? The AR is the only thing light enough to carry a fairly long term ammo supply. I agree that a standard 20" barreled A2 with an ACOG would probably be pretty optimum, better ballistics. Plus there will be a LOT of resupply possible.

Very few AKs have enough accuracy beyond 200 Meters. CC

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.