M14 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
single stage ?

I load for over 40 years and use both single stage and progressive press. The comments old guys I find interesting.
all the new guys want progressive and all the old one want single stage, “as I see it.”
The problem is that people who start on a progressive press don't know the feel or the sounds they are familiar with. Needless to say lots of screw ups. Very few people start with a progressive with out a lot of problems. Like seizer die set down to far, or a piece of brass didn’t feel quite right. There is an art to being a good loader, lots of little tricks. After loading thousands and thousands of rounds before I moved to a progressive presses and still there are times I will use a single stage press. This year I loaded over 100,000 rounds of different types.
There are times that I will not use a press or die such on my bench rest rifles with a tight neck. Just start slow and adhere to safety precautions

Ed

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I load for over 40 years and use both single stage and progressive press. The comments old guys I find interesting.
all the new guys want progressive and all the old one want single stage, “as I see it.”
The problem is that people who start on a progressive press don't know the feel or the sounds they are familiar with. Needless to say lots of screw ups. Very few people start with a progressive with out a lot of problems. Like seizer die set down to far, or a piece of brass didn’t feel quite right. There is an art to being a good loader, lots of little tricks. After loading thousands and thousands of rounds before I moved to a progressive presses and still there are times I will use a single stage press. This year I loaded over 100,000 rounds of different types.
There are times that I will not use a press or die such on my bench rest rifles with a tight neck. Just start slow and adhere to safety precautions

Ed

100% dead-nuts on! Same here, been loading for 40 years, still use only single stage presses ( have 3...) . I get to inspect each round, clean primer pockets, listen to the sounds, feel the neck sizing and the bullet seating. It really is an art. I would never recommend a progressive for a beginner.

But I'm just an old f*&T, what do I know? GI1

P_R

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm ole timer too and started reloading in 1961 with a Redding "C" press. Later switched to a RCBS Rockchucker, then a Dillon 550 Progressive. I still use the Dillon and the RCBA although I am thinking of selling the Dillon 550 and all that goes with it. There is something southing and relaxing about goin' slow.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I started with a RCBS RockChucker 30 yrs ago and still have it up & running -- echoing alot of the sentiments expressed here -- I like using the rock chucker, slow & methodical --- progressives do have their respective places in reloading but I am staying with my RockChucker until it drops and then it goes back to RCBS to be resurrected with the warranty service (if they cant send me parts to rebuild it at home anymore).

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hello,
Yep, it is.
I think, that's what you get when a computer gives you "Recommended Readings" at the bottom of every page.... A lot of "replying" with an answer, to very old posts for sure..... That's progress for you.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I started loading 55 years ago using RCBS juniors and a Rockchucker. At first it was to cut costs but I found out I just enjoyed the quiet time sitting at the bench and not thinking about anything else but loading. I have used friends progressive presses but don't like not being able to examine each case as each procedure is performed on it. Nothing is cheap any more but when you have components stocked away you don't have to worry too much about rolling ammo shortages every time something happens in Washington or your state capital. Buy cheap and stack deep. (y)

·
"Death From Above"
11,326 Posts
In the obumer days I knew nothing about reloading. I started buying up brass projectiles primers and powder a couple of years before I even had the equipment. Times are tough at the moment across the board for reloading supplies and equipment. Have to start somewhere!.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts