M14 Forum banner

Shot my socom 16 for the first time...

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  xdmikey 
#1 ·
Shot about 200 rounds out of my socom 16 last weekend and came home to find some broken parts. One of the teeth on the hammer broke right off and the end of the tube that holds the cleaning kit broke. I ordered a new hammer from treeline but im having a hard time fiding a new cleaning kit tube holder that screws into the buttstock. Anyone know if they just sell that peice or do i need to buy another stock?

Thanks,
Kyle

#5 ·
Im a huge fan of this gun already, its shoots really nice. I bought it lightly used from some guy. Ive read that springfield is using cast hammers in the trigger groups and people are having issues. Id rather put in a USGI hammer my self for 30 bucks than another junk hammer from springfeild. As for the stock ill give them a ring and see what they say thanks!

#6 ·
You should have them fix it all on their warrenty, then if you're insecure about it buy an entire gi trigger group and sell the sai one or keep it as a spare.

I have two sai tg's and the hammers have no issues at all and one of them is at a high round count, something is wrong with yours and not correct. Plus if it has these issues it could have others that they missed.

#7 ·
I would have SAI do the warranty work, including the new hammer, when you get it home, put in your USGI hammer. I had a broken op rod, called up SAI, 2 weeks later my SOC16 was bad in my hands again shooting like a dream. I replaced the Op Rod with USGI just because.

I know you said it was lightly used, I would try and find out what ammo he used before. Make sure it wasn't some 220 grn load. Also, what ammo were you using? Handloads, commercial, MilSurp?

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses! I will call SAI tomorrow to see what needs to be done. The guy i bought it from said he fired less than 100 rounds of british ammo. I do not know anything else. I have shot 150 rounds of federal 149 gr ammo. The hammer broke during my range trip because i broke the gun down before i went and everything looked ok. Ive seen a few other forums with pictures of the same issues on other guns. Hopefully SAI will do the work since i did not purchase it originally.

#13 ·
I too am waiting for my new Socom 16... Damned 10 day waiting period. Wonder if/what will have to be fixed. Can't wait to finally shoot one, picked mine up based on good reviews and the fact that its CA legal without a bullet button. Good luck!

#15 ·
Sorry i forgot to update this!!!! I called SA and they sent me a shipping label for free shipping to them. Packaged up the trigger group and dropped it off at fedex. Took about 10 days and the trigger group with a new hammer was back in my gun. Very good customer support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.