M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been feeling a little down. My daughter graduated and she moved out this weekend. My job had me in all day Friday and Saturday, so I took the first half of the day off today to get a little "Recoil Therapy." I just felt like shooting alone today, so I took out my LRB and my SAI standard. Both performed superbly.

I shot the scoped LRB off the bench and managed to get a 1.425" five-shot group at 200 yards! Four of those shots were in a cluster that measured 0.62"!! GI3

I shot 8 five-shot groups today and my average MOA was under 1.3 MOA with three of those groups under 1 MOA.

I alternated between shooting my LRB and my SAI prone and slung up. My SAI did not disappoint either...

I forgot my shooting mat and had to improvise...

Da range... (yes, there are targets down there...)

It was a good day at the range, but I still miss my girl...

Oh well, back to work....

Tony.

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
Very good shooting tonyben.

DI5

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
That's some mighty fine shooting right there Tony, I've been doing most of my shooting lately out to 200 and would be excited to have some groups like that. Don't feel too bad about working Saturdays, from Febuary til May we run seven days a week and scale back to six days a week from May until August … busting my butt these last few years prior to retirement so I can do more shooting than working hopefully!

It's tough watching the kids move on but it's also gratifying watching them progress through their lives at the same time.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
You and the rifles must be doing something right!! Work, what's that?? Not to gloat but been retired since 2004 and don't anyone tell you it is not a good thing. It is tough when they leave the nest, but life goes on can only hope nothing but the best for them.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Nice tony!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That's awesome shooting my friend!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Great shooting! I'm trying to do my best to get those kind of groups at 100 yards!

Reactions: Girth and tonyben

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ya very nice. It is great therapy. Hard to think of anything else when you are shooting, especially when it is going that well.

·
Super Moderator
11,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, everyone. It's been a long time since I've shot prone. I'd say it's been since November of last year. I'm definitely a little bit rusty. That old standard M1A doesn't know it's a standard and that it's not supposed to shoot that well, but it still shoots "lights out" no matter what.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm impressed you shot well slung up and in prone. That's good shooting! You've got the rifleman's basics well in hand. Feel good you can accomplish this at 200 yds with irons.

I use the benchrest for load development, confirming zeroes and ensuring full rifle function (i.e. full cycling for rapids). Its too easy to spend time at the range on the bench.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
"Well, I've been feeling a little down. My daughter graduated and she moved out this weekend."

Tony, ya gotta get your head straight. When a kid moves out, you immediately gain a new rifle room, suitable for cleaning and reloading - Life is good!

And great shooting too! - but didn't you post some great groups just last week? Are we starting to see a pattern coming from you and your rifles??? Time for some more matches??? USNA

·
Registered
778 Posts
I know how you feel tony. The day after I dropped my oldest daughter off to college almost 7 years ago I pulled out in front of a tractor trailer and just missed getting t-boned going to work the next morning because my head was up my butt. It does get better with time but it is a new chapter in the book of life.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Tony,

Excellent!

Imagine what you can do when you get your full blown match prepared rifle with the 5R barrel going.

nez

1 - 20 of 39 Posts