M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to convince my wife to do project appleseed for a while now. I finally got her to go, and went myself as well. It was the first time for the both of us.

She loved the event! The purpose of the project is something that strikes very close to home with her and she was thrilled to be around like minded individuals.

I her shooting my Marlin 60, and I used a Kimber 82G. She didn't have any problems with the Marlin, but the same can not be said about the Kimber. I had to be working that bolt FAST to make times. She shot neck and neck with me the entire day, really impressive. Unfortunately, she doesn't do well under pressure, so when it came down to the AQT at the end of the day, she didn't do great.

I struggled with the single shot bolt action on the rapid target, but still managed to pull off this:

It was a great time, and I'm looking forward to day 2 tomorrow. We would definitely consider being instructors as well.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm jealous

Appleseed has folded here in the 'real' Midwest. Kansas, Oklahoma, it seems to have died out. My red hat hangs in the closet. Glad to hear it is still alive where you are.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congrats. That is not an easy thing to do. On the first day no less. I had an orange hat for a while and it kinda got strange here in my area. The people in charge of it had some speakers coming in talking about some very questionable things. I love the idea that is Appleseed. I just wanted to instruct on shooting and not do the history as I am not great at public speaking. The Reds said I had to do the history if I wanted to continue to do the event.
What was your AQT score?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
234, I'll try again tomorrow with a semi and see if I can do any better.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Good shooting Lenny....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Congrats! ...I have GOT to get back and do another one!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I've seen guys shoot rifleman scores with bolt action rifles before, but never a single shot bolt action. Not only did you do some good shooting, you have your bolt work, reloading and handling time/pressure skills down pretty good, too.

It's not easy. Even with a scoped semi-auto most people never do it.

One thing you'll find out when you teach it for awhile is that on average, only 12 to 15% of the people attending shoot a rifleman's score, even at the 25 meter appleseeds. Actually, I think the short range one's are harder as you have to move from target to target (breaking and resetting your NPOA) while on the full distance qualifications you only have one target for each stage.8

Reactions: siefly and geeck

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
... I had to do the history if I wanted to continue to do the event. ...
The history is the reason for the event, the reason we need shooting skills. For the students, it's the motivation to do well.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Congrats!

I actually found I enjoyed the history bit a little more than the shooting, the Red Hat at the one I attended was great. I'm hoping to get to my second next month.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So today went extremely well. I used a loaner 10/22, which was a lot easier on the rapid stages. My best score of the day was a 241/250. I was tempted to throw on the old shooting coat for the last AQT, but decided not to. Maybe next time I will and go for a clean.

The big story though is my wife. She did much better today with a best AQT score of 240! She also got her distinguished appleseed patch. The instructor told us that before this weekend, only 4 people had done it in Maryland. Now its 6!

She absolutely loved it and is looking forward to doing it again.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On a side note, I did get a cool looking scar out of it. The guy next to me was shooting an AR and I caught his hot brass all weekend. Turns out, brass can get hot enough to stick to the skin.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Good job Lennyo! I got my 1st and 2nd awards--green and gold a couple of years ago. This year I'm going for the KD out to 600 yds using the M-14.

This is a good program FOR EVERYBODY no matter how good of a shot they are or think they are.GI2

History is taught that you never heard in any public school.....

Siefly

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Hey guys don't be afraid to take an orange hat. When I did, I thought I just wanted to help out and become Louisiana's oldest orange hat. However eventually I got comfortable being out in front and telling the story. I got my red hat, then my green hat as quickly as I could.

You will meet some of the finest folks at Appleseed events. Plus it will help you keep your skills sharp, shooting is a perishable skill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts