M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like most others here that love the M14, I'm old school and my handgun of choice is just as classic and timelessly efficient as my favorite rifle. What can I say, I am a 1911 guy!

I have recently relocated from the north east back to my beloved Colorado and find myself back deep in the mountains that I grew up in as often as I can. 1911s are not the gun of choice for me when hiking in the back country. I have always loved my brother's Smith Model 629 in 44 Mag. I've been looking high and low for one on most of the online sites and contacted a local FFL guy recommended to me in Colorado and NADA! Anyone know why? To be clear, I'm looking for the 3" barrel variety. S&W's website only has a few of the larger competition and specialty models.

My heart is set on this gun. I know that there are other quality revolver manufactures out there. I don't want this thread to turn into an argument on the merits of one .44 over another. I simply am asking for insight on to why this gun has become so hard to locate and if someone can point me in the direction of one (new) that is for sale at a reasonable price, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Did you try gun broker?

What about a 1911 in 10mm with buffalo bore hard cast 220gr
How about a S & W 610 revolver in 10 mm. You could also shoot 40 if you wanted to.GI2
They made considerably less of the three inch 44 mags. Look for a Lew Horton version nothing newer than 629-4.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
S&W 629 .44 Mag

Yeah, tried Gun Broker, Cheaper than Dirt, Bud's Guns, etc. While I am anxious to find the gun (I am sure I will eventually), I am equally anxious to know why it has become so scarce. I'm guessing I will have to be patient and wait until S&W does a run and releases them to the public and be ready to buy right then, kind of like when Black Hills releases 168gr Match ammo...sometimes the market is flush with it, other times not so much. Does anyone know when Smith does their "new model year" release?

There are lots of reasons why I want a revolver in the mountains vice a an auto. I agree that the formla of hard cast 10 mm solves one problem but creates others. Penitration, reliability, ammo availability, packability, and quaility all point me to the gun that I've outlined in this post. But thanks for the feedback.

Jeff

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've been trying to buy a S&W Model 25 for about a year now without any success. Meanwhile, the MSRP has gone up about $100. I think S&W is concentrating on the plastic stuff because that's what many people want, it is cheaper to make, and most likely has a higher profit margin. Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
309 Posts
How about a S & W 610 revolver in 10 mm. You could also shoot 40 if you wanted to.GI2
They made considerably less of the three inch 44 mags. Look for a Lew Horton version nothing newer than 629-4.
3 inch will be hard to find. Most were 6 inch and 8 inch barrels. Mine is 6 inch with a compensator. Great revolver.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
3 inch will be hard to find. Most were 6 inch and 8 inch barrels. Mine is 6 inch with a compensator. Great revolver.
If you are referring to the 610. The shortest barrel length they ever made was 3 7/8. The newer production 610's are not that hard to find. The original 610's produced in the late 1980's are the ones that are much harder to find. And those only came with 5 & 6.5 inch barrels.

Lou Horton was very fond of ordering special run guns from Smith and Wesson. There are several 3 inch versions out there with their name on them. 3 inch Smith and Wesson's are not impossible to find they just command a premium when they are available. GI2

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you are referring to the 610. The shortest barrel length they ever made was 3 7/8. The newer production 610's are not that hard to find. The original 610's produced in the late 1980's are the ones that are much harder to find. And those only came with 5 & 6.5 inch barrels.

Lou Horton was very fond of ordering special run guns from Smith and Wesson. There are several 3 inch versions out there with their name on them. 3 inch Smith and Wesson's are not impossible to find they just command a premium when they are available. GI2
I was referring to the 629.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts

Good advice above. As far back as I can remember Lew Horton always had ads for for special length S&W pistols. It might pay to call them and see what they have. If you get lucky, make arrangements with your local FFL to complete the transaction. dozier

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I've been trying to buy a S&W Model 25 for about a year now without any success. Meanwhile, the MSRP has gone up about $100. I think S&W is concentrating on the plastic stuff because that's what many people want, it is cheaper to make, and most likely has a higher profit margin. Just my 2¢.
That would be my guess as well. I would bet they have focused on the pistols they had flying off the shelf during the panic and the increased CC business and have let their slower selling revolver production languish.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

·
Banned
669 Posts
I guess I have been unaware of S&W revolvers being difficult to find because I have most of the ones I want, including the 629.

I really miss the days when stuff was more available.

Good luck in your search, and I hope you find a nice one.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
3" 629 is going to be ultra hard to find, and if you do find one it will be expensive! Here is a thought, find a used 4" or 6" 629 and have a competent gunsmith cut it down for you. I would look for an beat up model 29 P&R and have it modified, just because it would be cooler than the stainless.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Gun broker has tons of options since you in a hurry.

I dont see why 3 inch is so great. There are many 2.5 inch and 4 inch models in 44mag

Why not use a 2.5?

Or cut down a 4?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
3 inch S&W 44 mag , these days are as rare as Bigfoot sightings, have your cash available, keep looking at gunbroker, check local pawn shops, let local gun stores know what your looking for they can find things we can't. Check local flea markets. Good luck. Oh go to all the gun shows you can get to.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I understand your interest in a 3 inch model. IMO they are Prefect Packin Pistols. I got lucky a few years ago and found a 3 inch model 65 in a pawn shop.Almost like new condition.Like others said 3 inch Smiths of any model are rare.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Back when I cared (not very much, actually) what the hunting laws were, some states had a 4" minimum barrel length requirement to use the gun for sport hunting. Just something to look into in the event you'd ever use the gun for sport hunting.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Like most others here that love the M14, I'm old school and my handgun of choice is just as classic and timelessly efficient as my favorite rifle. What can I say, I am a 1911 guy!

I have recently relocated from the north east back to my beloved Colorado and find myself back deep in the mountains that I grew up in as often as I can. 1911s are not the gun of choice for me when hiking in the back country. I have always loved my brother's Smith Model 629 in 44 Mag. I've been looking high and low for one on most of the online sites and contacted a local FFL guy recommended to me in Colorado and NADA! Anyone know why? To be clear, I'm looking for the 3" barrel variety. S&W's website only has a few of the larger competition and specialty models.

My heart is set on this gun. I know that there are other quality revolver manufactures out there. I don't want this thread to turn into an argument on the merits of one .44 over another. I simply am asking for insight on to why this gun has become so hard to locate and if someone can point me in the direction of one (new) that is for sale at a reasonable price, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks guys,

Jeff
There are no "new" 629's with three inch barrels-at least not currently made by S&W. The only ones made were for Lew Horton back in the mid to late 80's. I have one, and like it very much.

There are a few used ones available. In the last week I have seen at least four 629's with various barrel lengths on Guns International, mostly from Mike Bishop out of GA, and Fugate Firearms out of KY. Fugate has NIB 100% pre 2000 S&W's including the 629, but they are very proud of them. Mike Bishop is a little more reasonable, but the revolver for which you're looking is very scarce, and will cost you no matter who has it. IIRC, they made around 5000 of the three inch 629's, and the same number of three inch 657's for Horton. All were round butt, with finger groove stocks.

One option is to get a four or six inch and send it to Bowen Classic Arms in Louisville, TN for a barrel chop and reinstall of the front sight. If you choose this route it will be a few months on turnaround. I was in BCA yesterday dropping off two S&W's for work, and he told me it would be after the first of the year before I got them back, and that was for a cylinder gap tightening on one and a timing issue on the other.

Good luck on the search. The guns are out there, but few and far between.

edited to add, it looks as if Talo has picked up where Horton left off, and they have a new offering of a three inch 629 on the Guns International site. I would place the link, but it's against the ROE, so just go to Guns International and select Smith and Wesson 629 Revolvers. There seems to be a short barreled version from the S&W Performance Center too, but it has a 2" or 2 1/2" depending upon where you read the description. There are also a couple of very nice pre lock 629 Mountain Guns on the site under Mike Bishop's offerings. If it were me, I'd go with one of those over anything coming from Smith now, simply because it has no lock, no MIM'd parts, and a hammer mounted firing pin, but that's my prejudice showing through.

Again, good luck in the search.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys. Great suggestions and I'm working on a few of them. I didn't know about Lew Horton. I had heard of Talo variants but didn't know much other than that. I hadn't considered a barrel cut either. I'm going to contact Gary Reeder about that avenue in parallel to following up on some of your suggestions. My brother has a custom .475 Linebaugh from Gary that is amazing and I'm inclined to use him since I've seen his craftsmanship up close and personal. Sorry for the long delay in responding to your PMs and suggestions to my post. I am sincerely appreciative of each and every one. I'm working in Afghanistan and our internet isn't super reliable. I'm home in a month and hopefully will have good news from my FFL guy soon.

Thanks again everyone!

Jeff

P.S. I'll update you all on how it turns out with a range report to follow.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.