M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My loaded exhibited it's1st problem at the range yesterday.
Failure to pick up next round. About every 6 or so rd's, click, nothing. Had already ejected the previous case, so ejects fine, just not picking up the next round on occasion. Changed mag's, same thing, 3 different types of ammo same thing. Gas plug tight so no issues there. What can I look for, as reliability is my thing? Gas leak? Bolt? Mag latch? Happy with the rifle otherwise.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Does mag rock front to back with any movement? To check for short stroke; remove op rod spring and guide, do tilt test, reassemble without spring and guide and do tilt test. If no drag, check for gas leakage around piston. Does bolt latch up after last round? Check for rubbing of op rod to stock.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Failure to Feed

Per TM 9-1005-223-10 pg 3-13 step 4, Failure to Feed:
a. Damaged or dirty ammunition
b. Weak or broken magazine spring
c. Damaged or deformed magazine
d. Damaged or deformed stripping lug on bolt
e. short recoil
f. Weak or broken operating rod spring.
d,e,f require evac to Direct Support, which is where I worked. This means that without personal inspection, I cannot tell what is wrong.
Step 8, Short recoil pg 3-16/17,
a. Gas plug loose or missing
b. Restricted movement of operating rod assembly
c. Bolt binding
d. Cylinder not fully installed (blocks gas port)
e. Gas piston restricted
f. Damaged connector assembly
g. Partially closed spindle valve
h. Improper lubrication in cold weather
a,b,c,f require evac to DS.
Gee, not muck help there. Could be the gas cylinder needs shimming. HTH,dave

·
Super Moderator
11,601 Posts
Check out post number 16 here...

http://m14forum.com/reference/73926-m14-m1a-health-check.html#post492983

Dozier had a similar problem and I have seen this happen again to at least one other person on another forum who had his issue resolved by replacing the bolt stop as well. There's more to check on that old thread too and that is a good starting point.

Tony.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
My loaded exhibited it's1st problem at the range yesterday.
Failure to pick up next round. About every 6 or so rd's, click, nothing. Had already ejected the previous case, so ejects fine, just not picking up the next round on occasion. Changed mag's, same thing, 3 different types of ammo same thing. Gas plug tight so no issues there. What can I look for, as reliability is my thing? Gas leak? Bolt? Mag latch? Happy with the rifle otherwise.

Question jens. Does the bolt ride over the cart, and go fully into battery? Is the problem encountered only when the next cart. to be fed is on the left side of the mag? If so go to the link below in tonybens post, and find my post in that thread. Since I've replaced my Bolt Stop. I've not had a feeding malf in 1 1/2yrs since. dozier

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Per TM 9-1005-223-10 pg 3-13 step 4, Failure to Feed:
a. Damaged or dirty ammunition
Nope
b. Weak or broken magazine spring
Hmmm?
c. Damaged or deformed magazine
Nope
d. Damaged or deformed stripping lug on bolt
Don't know yet. Hope not
e. short recoil
Don't know yet
f. Weak or broken operating rod spring.
If anything, too strong
d,e,f require evac to Direct Support, which is where I worked. This means that without personal inspection, I cannot tell what is wrong.
Wish you were here
Step 8, Short recoil pg 3-16/17,
a. Gas plug loose or missing
Nope
b. Restricted movement of operating rod assembly
Nope
c. Bolt binding
Nope
d. Cylinder not fully installed (blocks gas port)
Nope
e. Gas piston restricted
Tilt test fine
f. Damaged connector assembly
Hope not
g. Partially closed spindle valve
Nope
h. Improper lubrication in cold weather
It's 100 degrees
a,b,c,f require evac to DS.
Gee, not much help there. Could be the gas cylinder needs shimming. HTH,dave
I'll check. Thanks

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After-market op rod spring guide?

After-market op rod spring guide?
Yes it does. A Sadlak.
I meticulously stripped the rifle today to see what I could find. No sign of gas leak. Everything lines up and seems to function as it should I had tried 2 different magazines at the range thinking one or the other was the problem. Upon re-assembly today, I took a new Mag from the wrapper and inserted it. Fit much tighter than the other two. I'm hoping I just had 2 worn out mags causing the FTF. I'll confirm when the heat wave ends. Thanks for the thought

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was having a similar problem and Rammac suggested I replace the bolt stop.
The jury is still out... I did not have enough ammo to really test it, But I think it solved the problem..
Thank you Rammac

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Yes it does. A Sadlak.
I meticulously stripped the rifle today to see what I could find. No sign of gas leak. Everything lines up and seems to function as it should I had tried 2 different magazines at the range thinking one or the other was the problem. Upon re-assembly today, I took a new Mag from the wrapper and inserted it. Fit much tighter than the other two. I'm hoping I just had 2 worn out mags causing the FTF. I'll confirm when the heat wave ends. Thanks for the thought
No such as a worn out M14 magazine, just a worn out spring once in a while. Worn, slicker = better. I put my magazines in the tumbler. I'd advise try a USGI op rod spring guide. I use KMT's. Your spring and op rod may not be working as smoothly with the round guide as they should.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No such as a worn out M14 magazine, just a worn out spring once in a while. Worn, slicker = better. I put my magazines in the tumbler. I'd advise try a USGI op rod spring guide. I use KMT's. Your spring and op rod may not be working as smoothly with the round guide as they should.
Odd. The 2 suspect mags were obviously a loose fit. The new one while not difficult to insert was a no movement. We'll see, but I'll certainly try a GI op-rod guide. I'll do things one at a time so as to ID the problem. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.