M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried Black Hills non-molly 168 gr match yesterday at range. Had several (3 or 4) failures to lock the bolt back after last round while firing 27 rounds in 3 shot strings. The bolt would catch on the mag follower, not bolt catch. No problems with surplus ammo, head stamp FNM 82-21, before or after. Black Hills ammo lot #1601161493. Rifle is a SA S#040XXX with TRW parts. I was shooting with the forearm resting on a roll and left hand on rear sling point. Brass looks OK, gas plug was tight, gas system is clean, bolt and op rod slide with out resistance with spring out. Bolt way and op rod lubed with Tetra grease. Only had one mag with me that day. It was a windy day, sunny, mid 60's. Groups where OK for a windy day.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Sounds like maybe a couple things might be causing it to short cycle.

1. low powder charge in 3-4 loaded cases

2. maybe a couple cases were sticking in the chamber causing fired cases to eject late.

3. tight headspace would cause the problem. Do you know what the haedspace is?

Did ya clean the chamber with a chamber brush?

Do you have their phone number to call them and tell them about the problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply warbird.

1 - don't know, could be, however Black Hills is real dependable. My best friend has been firing only that through his AR-10T for the past 5 or so years.

2 - The cases don't show any signs of sticking or a rough chamber.

3 - Don't know the headspacing. Will have that checked at my friend's shop next saterday while he unitizes my gas system.

4 - Always use a good chamber brush. It's hard to break good habits that you learn on Paris Island.

I'll call BH next week from work and talk to them. It's aways possable, no mater how good a firm is, that a bad batch got out.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.