M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I unpackaged a bag of deprimed/swaged/resized, once-fired LC brass today, with thoughts of doing some reloading, since it is too rainy to go shoot.

I was checking the brass with a Wilson headspace gauge, and quite a few of the cases are measuring what amounts to too much headspace. The case head drops below the lower step in the gauge, where it should stay between the two steps if properly sized. The trim length is staying between 2.005 and 2.010 on these cases, so that's okay. What this indicates to me is that the resizing die used was set too deep in the press and has pushed the shoulder of the case back too far. I measured the depth at 0.010 inch (The space between the straightedge and the case head in the picture below). I didn't think it would change anything, but I resized a few of the worst cases through my Redding SB die (it didn't change anything). The case shown in the picture is the most extreme of the lot, but several others are between it and the maximum spec (even with the bottom step).

Is this too far back to use the case? It will add that much headspace to the chambered cartridge, and it would fireform back to correct dimension, I suppose, but I wonder if the added headspace is enough to create a light strike or other misfire situation.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Can I ask where you got that brass from?

As long as that brass has not been shot more then 2 times I would say its fine to use. I accidentally bumped the shoulder back to far on 100 rounds of my reloads (they were just as low as yours). Loaded them up they shot fine. I would load them and shoot them. Don't worry about it.
LC Brass is strong.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I ask where you got that brass from?
http://tacticalbrass.com

I've ordered several times from them, this is the first time I've gotten brass that was "out of spec" for cases that were sold as sized, deprimed and trimmed. I figure it is okay to use, just want to get someone else's take on what could potentially happen. It's all once fired Lake City, so I should be okay in that regard. I use Winchester Large Rifle primers and seat them as deep as they'll go. I just wondered whether I might have issues with light strikes because of the deeper fit of the case into the chamber.

I also buy cut and reformed 5.56 brass for my 300BLK from them, and it's always been spot-on, too.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Do you have an RCBS case gauge handy? If so I would look at the reading from that vs eyeballing with the wilson.

FWIW, I have shot some pretty far below, the shoulder moves forward a bit and you can just go from there.

I would worry more about it coming out of the case gauge.

I have one rifle at 1.633 or thereabouts. I size to about 1.627 or thereabouts, some cases are below that. By my 1st firing (second on the brass) it is all sized back to my norm.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
http://tacticalbrass.com

I've ordered several times from them, this is the first time I've gotten brass that was "out of spec" for cases that were sold as sized, deprimed and trimmed. I figure it is okay to use, just want to get someone else's take on what could potentially happen. It's all once fired Lake City, so I should be okay in that regard. I use Winchester Large Rifle primers and seat them as deep as they'll go. I just wondered whether I might have issues with light strikes because of the deeper fit of the case into the chamber.

I also buy cut and reformed 5.56 brass for my 300BLK from them, and it's always been spot-on, too.
Shoot them and re load them again. http://tacticalbrass.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=37
He posts a picture of checking in a head space gauge. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Don't think to much into it...

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
The worst case scenario is that the cases will split from too much stretching but my bet is that it will simply shorten the life of the case, maybe only two more loadings (a total of three) out of the brass before it cracks. As for misfires, the minimum that the firing pin protrudes is something like .044" so I doubt if you will have problems with too light of primer strikes.

I'd recommend loading them a little light the first time and let them stretch a little, then load them as you normally would after that.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd recommend loading them a little light the first time and let them stretch a little, then load them as you normally would after that.
That's sort of what I thought, too. I had maybe 30 cases out of 250 that were like this. I'm going to take the "worst" ones, which spec'd out to 0.010" too deep in the gauge, (6 of them) and load them light and shoot them before loading the remainder of the out of spec ones. I'll recheck them, if the necks are back where they should be, I'll probably load the others to regular loads and trash them one load earlier, as you suggested. I hate wasting brass, but I hate worse trying to pry split or head-separated cases out of my chamber.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
That's sort of what I thought, too. I had maybe 30 cases out of 250 that were like this. I'm going to take the "worst" ones, which spec'd out to 0.010" too deep in the gauge, (6 of them) and load them light and shoot them before loading the remainder of the out of spec ones. I'll recheck them, if the necks are back where they should be, I'll probably load the others to regular loads and trash them one load earlier, as you suggested. I hate wasting brass, but I hate worse trying to pry split or head-separated cases out of my chamber.
I won't buy any brass that has been processed at all because of problems like this.
I don't even buy cleaned brass I want to do all the work my self.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I won't buy any brass that has been processed at all because of problems like this.
I'd rather do it myself also, but all the brass I've seen for sale is either new, unfired (read:$$$$), or once-fired, sized and trimmed (and in some cases, already primed).

Do you have a link to a seller of unprocessed, once-fired brass?

Late edit: found a couple, even ordered 500 cases. $0.17/case.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts

I'm almost with you but, I let them clean them saves me some time and effort if its a large quantity.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
When I get 'short brass' such as yours, I set it aside until I get enough to make it worthwhile, then I shoot it in a 'controlled feed' bolt rifle, such as Mauser, Springfield 03, etc. The extractor holds the case against the bolt face and the shoulder moves forward, at least a little.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I'd rather do it myself also, but all the brass I've seen for sale is either new, unfired (read:$$$$), or once-fired, sized and trimmed (and in some cases, already primed).

Do you have a link to a seller of unprocessed, once-fired brass?

Late edit: found a couple, even ordered 500 cases. $0.17/case.
Everglades ammo.com That is the only place I buy my 308 brass from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.