M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone. I have an M1A with a surplus wood stock and would like some professional advice on storage. I currently keep it leaning against the wall in my closet. My closet is in my bathroom. The stock is oiled and the exposed steel is thinly coated with oil as well. Any knowledge is appreciated!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Whoa definitely get it out of anywhere with high moisture, like a bathroom or closet. Fabrics absorbe and release moisture. You're best off getting a good foam case and putting it inside a silicone gun sock. All of this is sourcable from Walmart. Don't forget to run an oil patch down the bore. Most stocks are sealed, but if they aren't that deserves its own thread. There are so many sufficient ways to seal a stock. Some favorites below:

Carnuba wax (or other wax)
Sherwin williams water-based polycrillic matte
Linseed oil
Tung oil. I don't always love the color tung oil gives. Sort of orangy.
Lacquer, while beautiful on other guns, isn't my cup o tea for the m14 platform. It isn't well finished a firearm enough to look right with lacquer.

Definitely get it far away from a bathroom

·
Registered
62 Posts
Whoa definitely get it out of anywhere with high moisture, like a bathroom or closet. Fabrics absorbe and release moisture. You're best off getting a good foam case and putting it inside a silicone gun sock. All of this is sourcable from Walmart. Don't forget to run an oil patch down the bore. Most stocks are sealed, but if they aren't that deserves its own thread. There are so many sufficient ways to seal a stock. Some favorites below:

Carnuba wax (or other wax)
Sherwin williams water-based polycrillic matte
Linseed oil
Tung oil. I don't always love the color tung oil gives. Sort of orangy.
Lacquer, while beautiful on other guns, isn't my cup o tea for the m14 platform. It isn't well finished a firearm enough to look right with lacquer.

Definitely get it far away from a bathroom
X2!!!!!!! {though i do keep a stainless revolver in the bathroom for emergency's} i kinda like the lacquer look

X2!!!!!!! {though i do keep a stainless revolver in the bathroom for emergency's} i kinda like the lacquer look!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Brother CodeRed1911: What do you mean by "Long Term Storage"? You mean storing it for months or years between firing? If you are planning to keep it away from the range for months (or years), make sure it is SURGICALLY CLEAN before you properly lube and seal all metal, ESPECIALLY the bore and GAS SYSTEM. Remember the the Two Greatest Enemies of Firearms are Rust and Politicians. Leaving the burnt carbons and acids in and on firearms ruins them, especially in humid climates. You can check the various opinions on when to clean the M-14's gas system. For me, it is after "shooting season" is over down here and I know I won't be at the range for a few months. I hate leaving a rifle's gas system dirty. No bueno! Everything else gets cleaned (3) consecutive days after firing, as I was taught by the professionals.

Also, for long term storage. look at sealants such as BIOSHIELD, LPS 3 or any Cosmolene related waxy coatings. Note that oil tends to evaporate over time. And PLEEEEEASE, in The Name of All That Is Good And Merciful, DO NOT spray WD-40 on your firearms! Evah! DO NOT!!, unless you are giving them to the Al-Quida, Taliban, maoists or other enemies that want you dead.

And, if you ever have to pack a firearm away after you have surgically cleaned it and sealed it, remember to include or have ready, solvents that will remove those waxes once you need to get it/them out of storage. Those waxes are hard to remove by just trying to wipe them off and scrub them out of a bore and gas system. You did coat the inner parts of the gas system before stowing the piece away for a long winter's(s') nap; right? Most need real solvents to remove it and get special solvents that will not damage the finish either.

Jarhead

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brother CodeRed1911: What do you mean by "Long Term Storage"? You mean storing it for months or years between firing? If you are planning to keep it away from the range for months (or years), make sure it is SURGICALLY CLEAN before you properly lube and seal all metal, ESPECIALLY the bore and GAS SYSTEM. Remember the the Two Greatest Enemies of Firearms are Rust and Politicians. Leaving the burnt carbons and acids in and on firearms ruins them, especially in humid climates. You can check the various opinions on when to clean the M-14's gas system. For me, it is after "shooting season" is over down here and I know I won't be at the range for a few months. I hate leaving a rifle's gas system dirty. No bueno! Everything else gets cleaned (3) consecutive days after firing, as I was taught by the professionals.

Also, for long term storage. look at sealants such as BIOSHIELD, LPS 3 or any Cosmolene related waxy coatings. Note that oil tends to evaporate over time. And PLEEEEEASE, in The Name of All That Is Good And Merciful, DO NOT spray WD-40 on your firearms! Evah! DO NOT!!, unless you are giving them to the Al-Quida, Taliban, maoists or other enemies that want you dead.

And, if you ever have to pack a firearm away after you have surgically cleaned it and sealed it, remember to include or have ready, solvents that will remove those waxes once you need to get it/them out of storage. Those waxes are hard to remove by just trying to wipe them off and scrub them out of a bore and gas system. You did coat the inner parts of the gas system before stowing the piece away for a long winter's(s') nap; right? Most need real solvents to remove it and get special solvents that will not damage the finish either.

Jarhead
Jarhead,
I appreciate the knowledge. Great help!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Consider storing your firearms in VCI bags ( Vapor Corrosion inhibitor ). Places like Boeing use them to ship their expensive parts.
Quote...
"How They Work - A continuous, invisible and harmless rust-inhibiting vapor forms an unnoticeable, microscopic layer of VCI/VPCI on the metal which protects the metal's total surface (exterior and interior parts, including inside the barrel). This layer instantly evaporates when the gun is removed from the bag. "

I have used them for years, mags, handguns, and rifles. Money well spent.

Poly Gun Bags

Gun Storage Bags - Zerust Consumer Products

·
Registered
442 Posts
Man after reading through this its a miracle the M14s in the fort benning infantry museum haven't blew up into a pither of smoke to never be seen again.
Except Brother TheShooter, our brother CodeRed1911 is not really identifying his idea or need of "long term" storage, which may mean not in a climate-controlled environment. We had 6 FEET of rain down here in 2020. SIX FEET! Humidity a problem? Heat a problem? Rust a problem? Keeping your rifle after firing a problem? You're a shooter, you know.

The VCI bags are a great idea. I used to use a brand from Pennsylvania that lasted for years. You can tell they work with the "stink" inside of them. That's the VCI at work. Bull-Frog products (of which I have NO affiliation) work good too.

Jarhead

·
Registered
140 Posts
Man after reading through this its a miracle the M14s in the fort benning infantry museum haven't blew up into a pither of smoke to never be seen again.
Those are typically covered in a very thin wax preservation film. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, but it's not suitable for shooting because it basically melts off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Consider storing your firearms in VCI bags ( Vapor Corrosion inhibitor ). Places like Boeing use them to ship their expensive parts.
Quote...
"How They Work - A continuous, invisible and harmless rust-inhibiting vapor forms an unnoticeable, microscopic layer of VCI/VPCI on the metal which protects the metal's total surface (exterior and interior parts, including inside the barrel). This layer instantly evaporates when the gun is removed from the bag. "

I have used them for years, mags, handguns, and rifles. Money well spent.

Poly Gun Bags

Gun Storage Bags - Zerust Consumer Products
Awesome idea

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Except Brother TheShooter, our brother CodeRed1911 is not really identifying his idea or need of "long term" storage, which may mean not in a climate-controlled environment. We had 6 FEET of rain down here in 2020. SIX FEET! Humidity a problem? Heat a problem? Rust a problem? Keeping your rifle after firing a problem? You're a shooter, you know.

The VCI bags are a great idea. I used to use a brand from Pennsylvania that lasted for years. You can tell they work with the "stink" inside of them. That's the VCI at work. Bull-Frog products (of which I have NO affiliation) work good too.

Jarhead
This forum has been a real pleasure. Seems like there are some good folks on here. Brother TheShooter and Jarhead, to specify my idea of “long term storage” would be secret months to one year. The bag idea seems to be the best so far. My house is climate controlled but a bathroom can get humid. Thanks again gentlemen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts