M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gentlemen,

Do you have a recommended shop that I could contact to install a Badger Rem 700 Tac Bolt Knob? I have the part, just need to have it threaded onto my existing bolt.

If you had this done by recommended shop, how long did it take to get your bolt back and what was approx cost?

Thanks...
Steven Mac

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason,

Just hit Keith up with a quick post over on the Sniper Hide forum. With my own Badger knob, it looks like he is doing the work for $45.00 which is great. Hope his availability is still good to get it done (sent, done in 4 days or less, and returned) in the 2 weeks he has been quoting.

How long did it take for him to get your bolt back to you?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trying to get this bolt of quickly. Haven't heard back from him Another shop http://longshotriflesllc.com/ quoted me $60 with next day turnaround when bolt is received. May just go with them as from further reading that AZPrecision seems to be out of pocket from time to time on a busy schedule.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would make sure they do it the same way, by drilling and installing a stud into the bolt and then screwing the bolt knob onto the stud. There are some shops that trim down the existing bolt handle, cut the threads straight into that, and then screw on the new bolt knob. My understanding of this method, is "WHEN it breaks", because it most likely will.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keith followed back up with me...

"Hello, I stopped installing Badgers recently. I install my knobs differently than Badger. The way I do it I prefer to turn them out myself. They fit better. Mark at Short Action Customs does great Badger knob installs. Give hima try for it. If you'd like one of mine put on I'd be happy to do that. Thank you, Keith Johns, AZ Precision."

Jason, on what you are saying, it looks like Short Action Customs addresses that problem to prevent a break-off as explained and shown here with a hollow cavity:

http://shortactioncustoms.com/?page_id=292

I put in an email to these guys and a phone call. Hopefully, instead of the $90, I can get it done for less since I have the Badger Knob already that I can ship.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They said they will do it for $75.00. Consider they are going to reinforce, its a good price though I supplying the part myself. Still reduced price, but will know it is getting done right and won't break off later. Thanks for your recommendations - you saved me from a major mistake of just going with anyone due to price.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Not all Rem. bolts have voids in the handle area. I have done many bolt knob conversions and have not had any problems with breakage.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
It's a first-class modification either way. I just tape my Remington handles to fatten and lengthen them a little, dip the new handle end in epoxy and let it dry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts