M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a sub gun especially in 9mm and really wanted an mp5 but the cost of a pre 86' transferable mp5 was just too expensive so I went with an uzi which was 1/3 the cost. The long wait was well worth it and the hassle of setting up a trust and all that other crap. I upgraded it with a green mountain chrome lined barrel, railed top cover, buffer to increase rate of fire from 600 to 800 rpm (about the same as an mp5 anyway)and that's about it. I am very surprised at how reliable and controllable the uzi is, I could almost write my name with it. Since I've gotten it I've put about 500 rounds through it with most being full mag dumps to get it out of my system. I've owned several full autos, a few m16's, an ak47 and a couple mini 14's. Even though the uzi is just a 9mm it is by far the funnest full auto I have ever fired and had to share a little clip I made last weekend so you guys could get an idea of the controllability and rate of fire. I'm really glad I went with the uzi over the mp5 as it's much cheaper and far easier to work on and is a real tank. Looks like my semi auto only uzi is going on gunbroker.
[ame]http://youtu.be/yUsgPiw4xKQ[/ame]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats on your new UZI!!

I have had the same positive experience. The full size UZI is a 9 pound clunk of a gun fully loaded but it is a wonderful, reliable, chugging 9mm. chainsaw of 600 RPM reliability that always puts smiles on people's faces! I always hand a beginner (new to machineguns) the UZI because, even one handed (ala Terminator night club scene), it is amazingly controllable. It just chugs happily along!

On the other end of the controllability spectrum would be the SWD M11A1 (aka 'MAC 11'). That little .380 machinepistol is crazy hard to control! Even experienced handgunners have trouble with it. The UZI though, everyone loves it.

Here is a photo of my dad hosing the target with a suppressed UZI:

Glad your new toy is treating you well so far! What's next on your list?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I used the FA UZI while with a German Ranger Battalion in the early '80s. A real dream to shoot and extremely controllable/accurate. If you place the folded butt in in your stomach and simply point the thing with your body you can get some excellent results without aiming... Good for walking fire...

JWB

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys who only see these as toys are always complaining or commenting on controllability.

Guys who use them in real life know about short controlled bursts.

Never understood the idea of simply dumping mags.

Multiple targets and skill development are more realistic for me.
For me a gun and more particularly full autos fill two roles, a fun range toy and also to get out of a dangerous situation. Just cause someone likes to do mag dumps doesn't mean he doesn't have the skill or isn't capable of controlled well aimed bursts, your shooting paper after all. The bursts I did in the video was for accuracy and every round hit the target. I also love to do mag dumps don't ask me why cause all I can tell you is because it's fun and I can. In a real life situation mag dumps obviously are not a wise way to expend ammo but when out shooting for fun do whatever floats your boat

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I never liked the Uzi. The safety features were not reliable enough for me, especially when training new drafties in basic training.
Wolf

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never liked the Uzi. The safety features were not reliable enough for me
theres always gotta be one nay sayer who doesn't like one thing about a gun. this thread is for those who like the uzi. Im just messing with you. its definitely not a perfect design but it does what it was intended to do and does it quit well. almost every sub machine gun made during that era has some kind of problem when it comes to ergonomics. the safety on the MP5 is very okward as well unless you have huge hands and is over engineered/complicated for a 9mm sub gun. I do agree with you though that the safety on the uzi straight up sucks. Any sub gun no matter what design has a small niche to fill and is a poor choice for frontline soldiers. Its no wonder why the israelies finally retired the uzi in 2003 and replaced it with the .556 the fact that the uzi served as the main weapon for the IDF for some 50 plus years says a lot about its ruggedness and reliability. It wouldn't be my first choice for a battlefield gun but it is a great choice for a PDW role and one hell of a fun gun to shoot which is most important to me cause that's the main reason I bought it (to have fun with)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got a full auto UZI, as well - it's my only Class III weapon. I owned a S&W M76 several years ago and eventually sold it. Bought the UZI a few years later. A little while later, bought a AWC suppressor to go on it.

I love the historical importance of the UZI, its looks, mystique, etc., but I'll be honest, if I could afford to buy any Class III I wanted (which I can't), I would buy something that fired from the closed bolt. That lurching forward of the bolt on the first shot just makes me feel like I don't have good first round control. I know it's silly, because with practice, one can be just as accurate with an open bolt gun as a closed bolt, but it's just a matter of what feels good to me, and in that sense, the UZI (and the SW M76 for that matter) just felt clumsy.

That said, the UZI is still one of the more affordable Class III weapons and has history perhaps only equalled or surpassed by the Thompson SMG, which is thrice the price (and also an open bolt gun). So it will remain my sole Class III for the foreseeable future. Frankly, my greatest joy comes not from shooting it, but from watching friends enjoy it. Then I love hearing them telling others, "I shot a MACHINE GUN!" Good times.

Best,
DeWayne

·
Registered
630 Posts
theres always gotta be one nay sayer who doesn't like one thing about a gun. this thread is for those who like the uzi. Im just messing with you. its definitely not a perfect design but it does what it was intended to do and does it quit well. almost every sub machine gun made during that era has some kind of problem when it comes to ergonomics. the safety on the MP5 is very okward as well unless you have huge hands and is over engineered/complicated for a 9mm sub gun. I do agree with you though that the safety on the uzi straight up sucks. Any sub gun no matter what design has a small niche to fill and is a poor choice for frontline soldiers. Its no wonder why the israelies finally retired the uzi in 2003 and replaced it with the .556 the fact that the uzi served as the main weapon for the IDF for some 50 plus years says a lot about its ruggedness and reliability. It wouldn't be my first choice for a battlefield gun but it is a great choice for a PDW role and one hell of a fun gun to shoot which is most important to me cause that's the main reason I bought it (to have fun with)

Sweet toy brother....DI5

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,196 Posts
If I could have a FA 9mm it would be a Carl Gustav M45/Swedish K, I have shot a MAC 10 In 45acp and my Brother had a Auto Ordnance 1928A1 Thomson SMG that was almost mine [we had to sell it to pay the bills]
If I could have any Machine gun it would probably be a real Colt or FN M4
or a Beretta 93R

Casey

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
In semiauto it was a great training weapon for the Israelis. The weight & stability make it a lot easier to learn to shoot over a pistol. And that is training for both male & female 18 year olds.

I've shot FA Uzis on a few occasions & have a SA. Semiauto fire I give accuracy to the SA due to its closed bolt firing.

A few years ago took my SA to the local range. Range officer started screaming at me that full autos weren't allowed. Not quite sure why I did it but after one mag on the pistol range moved over to the rifle range & did a mag at 100yds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts