M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already had my trigger adjusted by Ted Brown. The groups are fantastic. I was waiting, and waiting. Thanks Ted!
I don’t have one from Ted yet but hopefully someday. It would be fun to try them back to back. I can’t wait for my shooting sight trigger groups to arrive!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I’ve not seen the skeletonized hammer before. Was that an early design or a custom made job? The two I own have the gusset web.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use the lightened hammers in my M1s and M14s.
I haven’t seen the skeletonized M14 hammer before. That’s pretty cool.

The EBR triggers are fantastic in rifles with pistol grips. Can't beat the adjustable triggers. Art does a wonderful job.
I picked up EBR hammer and trigger kits for my JAE stocked rifles and a regular kit to swap between the others.

·
Eye Master
3,919 Posts
For one, I am not a Marine. I never served, so do not want anyone to get the idea I did. I actually got a talking-to, from my 85 year old Mom. Her father was a Marine, and when I made a donation to the USMC Rifle Team, and they sent me a 'USMC Rifle Team' sweatshirt in return, she told me I was not allowed to wear it!

Anyhow, here is the history of the skeletonized hammers:

I was machining out pockets that left a web. I make these by having blocks rough-cut by water jet, then machining to get final dimensions. I wondered if it would not be easier to skeletonize the hammer, removing the same amount of material, but doing it in the water jetting step (which cuts all the way through) rather than by machining, which can go to partial depth. I had about 1 square foot of tool steel, so I sent it off, and they made about 50 hammers from it.

Results were that the additional water jet time cost more than I saved, plus when I tested them, I did not see an improvement in lock time, plus the old design I had sold for a few years was known to work, and I did not have that same amount of experience with these hammers, so I saw zero benefit. I did give out a few to people who would be likely to shoot them, just to see if we got any feedback or observed failures. I am pleased to say I have not gotten negative feedback, but neither did I follow-up to see how many rounds were through them, to see if the testing was actually done.

Bottom line is that I still have about 45 of them. If someone wants to order a hammer and attach a note that they prefer the skeleton version, I'll give a 20% discount on the hammer and still cover it under warranty. Indeed, I have some blem triggers that I'll also discount 20%. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll have Customer Service put together a package on the website.

If Art wants to chime in about his experience with the skeletonized design, I'm sure we'd all like to hear about it.

Art

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
I have run in excess of 1500 rnds using that hammer and looks as good as new. I would not be afraid to use either design.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts