M14 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I appreciate all your thoughts about my fuzzy crosshairs. I might have received an answer yesterday: I visited an optometrist yesterday who said she couldn't adjust my right eye to 20/20. Cataracts might be my problem.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Continuing . .

. . . my search for a clear sight picture. Frustrated with my fuzzy scope dot, I took all my old eyeglasses and round inserts to the range to test. It turns out I have my best sight picture with a pair of glasses from 2010. Yesterday, my astig target was clear all around, and my scope dot was dark and sharp. Better than several new Knoblock inserts. The clearer sight picture enables me to call my shots more correctly (not perfectly yet) and to apply more effort to trigger control and position. Woohoo!

I recall that I have proclaimed several times above that my sight picture had improved. Well, I really mean it this time.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Every day is a new day. What works one day doesn't work the next. Awaiting an appointment with ophthomoligist to evaluate for cataracts.

My best vision on Wednesday was to hold the round lens against the eyepiece of the scope. It was spectacular, so much better than wearing the lens in the Knobloch frame.

Very mysterious.

·
Eye Master
4,121 Posts
Astigmatism/cylinder errors are a slight bulge in your eye, so the corneal surface is not purely spherical, like a basketball, but have a two different radii, like looking sideways at a football, which has a small radius in one direction, and a larger radius in the other.

However sometimees that bulge is soft, so it can change in severity or direction from day to day, or based on pressure on the soft tissue surrounding your eye. So for instance, making a cheek weld can cause an astigmatic error to shift.

So the problem might be that you are chasing a moving target, and the solution is for you to learn how to adjust with enough ease that you adjust on the fly every day you go out.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Next time out, I will change my head position and cheek riser while trying to achieve clarity. I will also try the tape method to secure the lens, and I will rebuild my cheekpiece from bare wood.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
shooter86314... I am with you on this and feel your pain!
Have decided to not send so much lead and money down range until I get my eyes checked and some new glasses... Hope a new scope helps as well

Reactions: shooter86314

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It's been awhile. I have been busy with eye doctors, a heavy rear bag, the flu, really windy conditions, and a lens holder to mount my shooting lens to my scope. I finally did as suggested by ShootingSight: I held my lens up to the eyepiece of my scope. What an improvement that made! However, that seemed to be an awkward shooting position. I searched for a lens holder that could attach to a scope, but I couldn't find anything, anywhere, except for a patent application from 1951 which didn't clearly show how it worked.

I thought I might make something workable. I measured the eyepiece and headed to the hardware store for PVC tubing connector which I could turn into a prototype. It's a bit rough and really white, but it holds the lens in place. One more glitch: I didn't really want to shoot without eye protection, so I had plain polycarbonate lenses installed into an old frame, although they aren't entirely free of distortion.
I can rotate it on the eyepiece so I can adjust the focus and astigmatism correction separately, I have used it for two dry firing sessions this month, and it still appears to work well.
The 25 knot winds should diminish this weekend as the temp rises into the 80s, and I can try it next week.

I have started a second model of aluminum, and I am exploring how thin I can turn the cylinder and thread it without crushing it in the chuck. I hope I can make it .06" or thinner.

It really amazed me how much my sight picture improved with the lens on the scope versus mounted to my glasses.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have been struggling with fuzzy crosshairs ...

So, my question is: at what distance should the special lens focus to get best results? Do I need to get best focus at 100 yards or on the crosshairs in the scope, 6-9 inches away from my eye?.
Look up the mfgr info or manual on your scope. Many scopes adjust focus on the front end, and align the parallax on the back end if the scope does not have a third knob for parallax adjustment. (Good vids online about parallax adjustment.)

The front ring may also be a locking ring for the focus ring just inside of it. Check out what you have and mess about with it. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Had very similar problems with vision and upon visit to eye Doc advised me cataracts were more developed than they were in 2014, so took care of that with eye surgeon and can tell you the surgery went well and only yesterday had another check up and vision for both eyes is 20-15 which they tell me is very good for 74yr. old eyes. Reading fine print does still require reading glasses which is a bit of a pain, but find those $15.00 glasses at the grocery store serves me well for the few times I need them. Optometrist, son of surgeon, attempted to come up with a prescription lens but stated he really could not justify doing so and wished me well and is a shooter and understands how important vision is for that sport. Would mention that the surgeries only takes a few minutes and healing time is very short w/ administering of a series of drops for couple weeks. Great deal all the way around, check into it for sure.

·
Eye Master
4,121 Posts
The answer is that you typically want your 'special lens' at the end of the scope to be your distance correction. Theoretically, if you add a distance correction lens, oriented correctly, you should be able to set your scope to 0 diopter correction, and be good to go.

Of course, reality is never the same as theory, but it should be very close.

Art

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
As I said in post #24 above:
Every day is a new day. What works one day doesn't work the next.
Scope caps usually fit too tight or loose. My lens holder will work well.

StampMill: Yes, I know which rings to turn for reticle focus and parallax.

I forgot to mention earlier. The ophto says my eyes are at minimum for cataract surgery. It's good to know, but I am not quite ready for that.

Instructor said:
Great deal all the way around, check into it for sure.
Thanks for the encouragement. I will.

Thanks for your suggestions.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.