M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations for shooting glasses that meet the following criteria:

1. Do not fog up. This is by far the most important criteria. I have tried several 'anti-fog' treated glasses and they all fog up something fierce.

2. Are nice and clear to look through

3. Do not scratch up easily. I realize all glasses can be scratched but I've had some that scratch by me looking at them wrong.

Nice to have:

4. Replaceable lenses

5. Do not cost a fortune

I have made a decision to always shoot with glasses on and it's a challenge in the Houston humidity. The shape of my skull ends up creating an vacuum tight seal with the top of the eye glass, providing almost instant condensation. So looking for advice as to whether there really is anything truly fog proof.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Elvex RX500™ Full Lens Safety/Reading Glasses Clear Ballistic Lens

Do an eBay search. $10.95, free shipping, In small diopters, .5 & .75.

Who cares about scratches and replaceable for $11.
Thanks for the info. Amazon has 'em too. Got the bifocal types: RX350's. More suitable for my needs.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I’ve been using Decot shooting glasses for 20 plus years. They offer plenty of lense options including Rx lenses. Probably not the cheapest route but they are quality made product that are versatile.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I've found that fogging is more a lack of air flow behind the lens, so you need something that will promote air flow, and not seal off your eyes.

The best I've found are the Ranger XL and XLW series. They come with interchangeable lenses, as well as a lot of optional colors. Not the cheapest.

I still use my Ray Ban Shooters, and have three pair in amber, G15 green, and clear. They also handle potential fogging well.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Anything close to your face, or sealed against your skin is going to fog unless it’s quality or has good airflow.

I haven’t had any fogging issues with the Oakley SI ballistic shocktube shooting glasses.

Under $100 on sale. Not the cheapest but it’s ballistic quality lenses, no distortion in non RX, with lens change capability.

If no fogging is your main requirement, you need to avoid cheap.

·
Eye Master
4,121 Posts
If you have good distance vision, get the elvex +0.50 glasses to shoot irons, not the bifocals.

To prevent fogging, carry a small bar of soap in your shooting kit. Wet it and rub your finger on it, then rub the soap slime onto the insides of the lens. Let it dry, then buff till clear with a t-shirt. Repeat this every day you shoot, as the soap will rinse off with time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Elvex RX500™ Full Lens Safety/Reading Glasses Clear Ballistic Lens

Do an eBay search. $10.95, free shipping, In small diopters, .5 & .75.

Who cares about scratches and replaceable for $11.
Use these as well as the higher power ones for eye protection working on cars, chainsaw and anything else I need my readers for. At the price point I keep spares around as well. Amazon free shipping...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
My eyesight was failing some years ago and did try all manner of glasses to aid in shooting iron sights(as well as scopes) and fogging was a real problem as you expressed. Since have had eye surgery and great vision now, but during my "glasses" days, found the best solution for me anyway, was to wear a head band, elastic terry cloth type or bandanna type and greatly diminished the fogging of the glasses. The glasses were always not situated on my head and even once they were situated in a good spot, they would shift or move during a match and having to adjust a problem for me. The glasses was just something that took my attention to focusing on what I was trying to do, shoot accurately and no interference while doing so. Just a thought.

·
Registered
685 Posts
+1 for the Elvex Rx500.

I only need reading glasses and use a 1.5 diopter in the machine shop. The full lens allows me to look up/down/around at machine ops on both large and small manual and cnc machines, and controllers/programs/drawings without excess neck strain to see through the bifocal lens.

I don't need anything for distance, and use the 0.5 for shooting. Using a small bifocal style like the Rx350 made me have to really strain for angle of sight with my neck to draw on my front sight.

ranger7gt

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Lenses fogging is primarily an issue of temperature difference between the lens, your body and the surrounding air. A clean lense is also less likely to fog than a dirty one.

The defogging products made for snow skier goggles are some of the most aggressive out there. My personal preference is a product called "Cat Crap". Small container like lip balm. Applied with fingers and buffed off like was mentioned earlier with bar soap. Shaving cream was my old stand by until I discovered the Cat Crap. Pretty effective also.

Here's a product essilor used to sell in the US for prescription lenses.

https://youtu.be/CtNS7bh2IIU

Even had some catchy commercials to promote the product.

https://youtu.be/Crul7WKKd1Y

Was big in Europe when launched some years back. It did require the use of their cleaner to keep the lens performing but it worked. Not sure if it's still available but since it was a thin film coating, applied to the lens surface, it could be applied to high impact resistant lenses like polycarbonate or trivex.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
After trying all the "normal" safety glasses i find they down right FAIL for positional shooting. Always looking through frame edges and nose/bridge piece.
Then fed up in 2004 I bought a set of randolph Rangers. They sit high and away from my face. They will fog on very extreme weather days but over all the best I actually every tried.
Then Rx lens needs came into play. Took me a while to find someone to make a Rx lens for my rangers....now a few years have passed and I,need a stronger Rx.
The lens company who made my First set does not seem to want my business this time around.
No email or return phone calls.
Decot per phone call said they can make a lens , i emailed my Rx to them and no response.?

At this point I will get a adjustable diopter for my target rifles and might just break down and get a set of knoblochs - can get several different lenses and diopter strengths.
Yeah they might cost a bit but ive grown tired of settling with stuff that kind of works.

I might pick up some of those RX500 for work though

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I’ve been using Decot shooting glasses for 20 plus years. They offer plenty of lense options including Rx lenses. Probably not the cheapest route but they are quality made product that are versatile.
same here
They meet all of the OPs criteria..............'cept the last one.
IMO, anti fog is best accomplished with periodic coatings. Fog Off and Scope Dope are a couple that work.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
same here
They meet all of the OPs criteria..............'cept the last one.
IMO, anti fog is best accomplished with periodic coatings. Fog Off and Scope Dope are a couple that work.
really like to try a pair to see how they work out. Hate to buy a set only to find the same problem I have with 99% of the other glasses I have tried

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Shooting glasses are mandatory in my club but normal glasses with stick on side shields and a base cap are accepted as a protection against flying empty cases as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I go to my local machine tool/industrial supply house. They have multiple brands and styles of safety glasses to choose from on display. I try them to see which ones "agree" with my eyeballs. The most expensive doesn't always mean they will be the best.

I have had good luck with Crews brand safety eyewear and recommend their #207 hard shell eyewear case to reduce scatches .

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I have tried more types of shooting glasses and anti-fog treatments than I'd like to admit. I, like many, have a significant issue with fogging lenses. I have found that even anti-fog treatments don't work well if there is limited air flow behind the lenses. I keep coming back to my classic Bosch and Lomb shooting glasses. Decot and Ray Ban shooting glasses are of a similar design and, since the sides are open, air can flow behind the lenses.

I believe that some folks (myself included) are "head sweaters" and we have issues with lense fogging that other folks don't have.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I go to my local machine tool/industrial supply house. They have multiple brands and styles of safety glasses to choose from on display. I try them to see which ones "agree" with my eyeballs. The most expensive doesn't always mean they will be the best.

I have had good luck with Crews brand safety eyewear and recommend their #207 hard shell eyewear case to reduce scatches .
Problem with those sport style glasses is when Im in prone or standing the nose piece/bridge is right in my view.
Honestly I need a pair that puts the lens in the center of my face as im only using the inside half of the lens anyway when shooting.
Now for general plinking and bench shooting my daily cheaters get me by. For score in positions nott so much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.