M14 Forum banner

Shooting finger

2211 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  desertrat144
ok, almost everibody shoot with the normal finger but i´ve seen many people shooting with the next one down(I dont know the name), the midle of the hand. Sorry i cant explain very good. Seems more confortable when you take the rifle and put your finger in the trigger.

what do you think about that ?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Honorable Discharge
1,052 Posts
The "normal" shooting finger is the Index finger.

The "middle" one is called just that, the Middle finger.

I think it's more about personal preference as opposed to it improving accuracy. The only time I've ever used my middle finger to shoot is on some of the older shotguns that have two triggers.

· Registered
1,141 Posts
Not sure how common. I have never seen it.
You should do whatever gives you the best control and is the most repeatable.
Variations in the process will produce inaccuracy.

· Registered
615 Posts
Sorry, I had too...

Tom Beringer did it once in that movie Sniper.... but he had a little help from the enemy...

· Registered
536 Posts
I've used my middle finger for shooting for a little while when I broke my index finger. It worked fine but felt a little awkward and it was easy to hang too much finger on the trigger. I didn't notice any reason to use my middle finger over the index as far as marksmanship is concerned. As soon as the brace was off, I went right back to using my index finger...

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Very fast to shoot the Enfield using the middle finger on the trigger and thumb and index finger on the bolt. Feels very natural. Not so on most other bolt rifles.

· Registered
3 Posts
The method of using your Middle (salute) Finger as trigger finger is called 'Point Shooting' when done with a revolver or pistol.

The idea is based on several separate components:
1. Not being able to see your target other than 'noise indicators': when you [blindly] point your Index Finger at something your eyes and anything in your hand like a muzzle, will be close to, if not dead on the target, and
2. your Middle Finger is stronger than the Index Finger.

Just another point of view.
Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.