M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished tuning up a standard Springer M1a and took her out. Slapped on the normal upgrades;

-shimmed/unitized GC
-NM front sight post
-usgi front sight base with lug (audibly pings like a champ now!)
-older refinished usgi stock (this one dubbed "The Leopard" from other members)
-slotted handguard
-sanded for clearance between stock and handguard in all the right places
-straightened oprod to exact center of piston
-tilt tests
-bolt roller inspection
-ensured barrel band tension is adequate
-slight trigger job that isn't quite match but hovers approx 5lbs

***still needs a bedding job***

Anyways, I like it. I tried to group on some 100yd NRA targets and got approx 2-2.5" 5rnd groups at best @ 125m (that was the nearest shade tree in 95 degree TX sun). Those prob weren't the best targets to test with irons for absolute accuracy but really, I'm in it for the practicality. After the slo-mo target plinking, I commenced to set up clay pigeons and was absolutely owning those at the 125m distance.....again, irons.
Like the more experienced match guys say, target visibility/perceptions are different for everyone, or something similar to that.

After being satisfied with the short range, I parked in a random spot in the hay field and lasered out something that I'd have to dial in for. FYI, I have random 9" gongs planted around the perimeter and all vary in distances creating a new look every time you relocate. I enjoy spinning the sights to hit small targets and on today I switched my laser to yds (unmarked elevation drum) and came up with 186yds, 290yds, and 395yds waiting to be hit. Too much fun from the back of the truck!

-Josh

·
Registered
823 Posts
Gorgeous rifle

Reactions: JoshN

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you gave the leopard a good home Josh! I need to find some land like that to plink at longer distances.
I've been a shooter all my life and have always valued land to shoot on. Unfortunately, I'm about an 1hr15min east of Dallas and I know that's a haul for anyone in Ft Worth.

I've got a project about to start South of you off of I20 so let's meet up sometime and plink at your stomping grounds.

Later - Josh

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Reactions: JoshN

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,298 Posts
Nice looking rifle. You didn't state what ammo you are shooting. If it's M80 ball try shooting it with some 168 grain match loads... You'll be surprised.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice looking rifle. You didn't state what ammo you are shooting. If it's M80 ball try shooting it with some 168 grain match loads... You'll be surprised.
My apologies señor and thank you for the suggestion! I actually rotated through some PMC 149gr, Fiocchi something or another, and Atomic 168 'match'. With shadows in the afternoon, I was having some issues differentiating the target so it's prob me (I hate to blame equipment).

To add, I forgot to mention the Sadlak spring guide I installed.

Soon to come is a Sadlak piston and maybe a silicon spring upgrade or similar. I've gone through the insides and smoothed out all the metal to metal contact and she seems smoother than ever. Once I feel really good with it, I'll bust out the Fed GMM 168's to confirm what I got.

Last on the list will be the bedding job which I've never done so I'm on the fence on sending it out or trying my hand at it.

PS, I also went to your website and it's a genuine honor to always visit with you more seasoned guys about this stuff. I kinda see myself as an shade tree apprentice trying to carry the torch. If you guys have anything else to suggest, please do!

-Josh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.