M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across an unusual question today. A friend of mine had three rifles stored in a garage . The garage had a pile of wood in a corner along with some tires, the wood and tires had caught on fire and smoldered in his garage for what he had estamaited about 5 hours. the fire had starved its self out almost, he said that a guy had walked back into the shop opened the door and the fire was re-oxygenated AND POOF.
The fire dept had been called after this and the fire was put out. He told me that everything in the shop had soot all over everything, im sure that it was from the tires. Along with all of this he stated that the blueing on the top of the barrels on all three rifles had dissappered under the stocks the barrels were fine, THIS NOTED he also said that the stocks had NOT be harmed other than soot all over them.
he stated that he even had mags duck taped to the stocks but that tape had not melted.
He asked me if I thought these would be safe to shoot . The calibers involved 10/22 , 3006 , and a 7mag .HMMm. well I would go with the .22 just because im a nut. But on the others ERRhmm . Tell me what ya all think. HEHE prop it up ---- long string .
[email protected]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not exposed to extreme heat

As long as they were not exposed to extreme heat which would change the properties of the steel. I would Clean lub and shoot.DI5 just my .02
If I had any doubt I would have checked out by a COMPETENT Gun Smith.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
If the stocks did not melt or burn and the tape on the mags didn't melt then clean em up and check all parts (especially any plastic or rubber parts). Check the barrel and receivers for any discoloration or bubbling from direct fire exposure. If all that's good to go, put in fresh ammo and have at it. Any doubts then take them to a gun smith. Moral of the story is that you never fire anything that you are not convinced will be safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts