M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early SI 007xxxx that I inherited from a buddy in the USMC. Recently it does not eject. I have field stripped and cleaned and the gas piston is working properly. The cartridge will stay in the chamber and a new one is not racked from the magazine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Could be that the so called spindle valve is in position that no gas is permitted to flow from the fired round. If it is closed then you have basically a repeater but only if you work the op rod by hand when fired in order to fire another round. Obviously something is denying the gas system to do it's job. Possibly the gas cylinder is not in alignment with the orifice in the barrel itself?? Sure others will add to help you out.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Check the extractor spring and clean the chamber with the M14 chamber brush.

·
Registered
61 Posts
is the action coming out of battery and leaving the brass behind in the chamber or staying locked onto the case head and FTE? if you cycle the action manually does it extract and eject?

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
If the empty is staying in the chamber and a live round is not being fed it is either not enough gas or the chamber is too rough from rust or whatever....

I would first recheck the gas cylinder alignment. Do this:

Lock the bolt open.

Point the barrel up at the ceiling.

Listen for the gas piston to drop.

Insert a 1/16 inch allen wrench into the small hole in the bottom of the gas cylinder to make sure that it passes all the way into the barrel. You should be able to see it poking into the barrel if it is.

If the allen wrench is not going into the barrel you will need to adjust the gas cylinder by doing the following:

Remove the gas plug

Rotate the gas lock in a righty tighty direction one rotation then re-check alignment. If the allen wrench goes through your good. If not make another turn and check again until it does.

Once the allen wrench passes through the gas port into the barrel you can reassemble and go shooting.

The other thing to check as others have mentioned is the gas spindle valve (the slotted screw on the side of the gas cylinder) on is perpendicular to the barrel off is parallel with the barrel.

It is probably one of these two things.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
When I cycle it manually it does not extract and eject. Have checked gas port and bleeder hole.
If you are cycling the operating rod and the case is staying in the chamber, then you have a problem with the extractor. It is either damaged or you are not letting it snap over the cartridge rim.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Could be that the extractor spring has worn out or been damaged. Strip down the bolt and make sure the extractor is under tension.

...and don't let that darned ejector go shooting across the room.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I cycle it manually it does not extract and eject. Have checked gas port and bleeder hole.

Is the action cycling and blowing the bolt off the case ? If the round isn't stuck in the chamber all signe point to extractor. If it is stuck, sounds like chamber problem.

You aren't using reloads are you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts