M14 Forum banner

Shipping a rifle

1142 11
Hope this is the right place.

How have you shipped rifles for gunsmith work?

What has worked best?

Thanks
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Have Good Luck With UPS

Live in New York State and Florida where I experience no problems with UPS shipping to my gunsmith. First look up on the internet the UPS staffed teriminal where UPS ships and receives, do not go to the UPS stores in malls, pack it for you type place. Have box open and rifle disasembled i.e. bolt or trigger group out whatever, they inspect the box to see if it contaiins ammo etc. They will wrap it for you afterwards or you can do it yourself. Used UPS six times to ship rifles with no problems. Also shipped ammo to myself where I was moving with the UPS ammo code and that got there before I did. It seems that when I have called UPS number on web site and asked questions you can get totally wrong anwers. UPS does ship firearams and ammo.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've found that FedEx always serves with a smile in these cases. USPS is iffy, depends on who you get at the window, and I've had a couple of run arounds with UPS also. Although I spend a little more with FedEx, I'll use them for the hassle free service from now on.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Better yet, go to ups.com and start up your own account... very simple and fast - anyone can do it... Once you have an account.... you go to www.ups.com and do your own shipment - print out your own prepaid lable, tape it to the box and then just hand the box to a driver or ANY ups counter Anywhere - No questions ask at all - This is the Only way to ship anything.... No lines, no wait and no questions at all... I have been doing this for a few years now... I also set up a Fedex account but the ups account is much easier to use...

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can ship rifles by the post office, only FFLs can ship handguns that way. Ive had good luck with priority mail. Whoever works on your rifle can ship it back to you direct.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I shipped a rifle (I don't have an FFL) on Saturday USPS Priority Mail, insured, signature required for deliv. It cost just under $20 and arrived Monday (Mass to GA)! Fast and cheap. Told the clerk at the counter "it's a rifle", he says "That's OK as long as it's unloaded".

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have used USPS to ship all my rifles that I had built or refinished.Never a prob. I also have recieved firearms via USPS to my FFL. I dont have a preference its just easier for me . I talked to 2 different post masters and as long as it is unloaded and the outside of the box doesnt indicate its a firearm its ok. I believe you are supposed to ship with a tracking number also(not sure about that...although I wouldnt think someone would ship without). HTH.....Ray

·
Banned
273 Posts
harley rider said:
Better yet, go to ups.com and start up your own account... very simple and fast - anyone can do it... Once you have an account.... you go to www.ups.com and do your own shipment - print out your own prepaid lable, tape it to the box and then just hand the box to a driver or ANY ups counter Anywhere - No questions ask at all - This is the Only way to ship anything.... No lines, no wait and no questions at all... I have been doing this for a few years now... I also set up a Fedex account but the ups account is much easier to use...
HR is spot on! I ship and receive from work. We have a UPS account and its easy as pie. Whenever my UPS guy sees a long box he says "shipping another gun huh?" Whenever my UPS guy deliverer another HEAVY box he says "more ammo huh?" Now he wants me to help him pick out a K98. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.