M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I finally can touch LRB M25 that I've been waiting for a year. I was inspecting the build for the first time today at LGS. Love my rifle but too bad, it will be in jail for another 10 days here in California!

My question is the stock I sent in has a satin look and I like it that way very much. However, the builder put something on it and makes it look shiny. I know for sure the stock is bedded for the receiver, how would you fix it or restore the original satin look? Would it be a problem to remove the newly bedded stock? Please give some insight.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
First, get in touch with the person who did the work and ask them what they used on the stock. If indeed you need to remove the action from the stock, do it as careful as possible as the more you remove it, the more it will wear down the bedding and loosen the action in the stock.

You maybe able to wipe on a little oil and buff it with 0000 steal wool, that should knock down the shine to a nice hand rubbed satin finish.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
If the finish is cured good six months or more linseed oil and rotten stone powder rubbed in gently with a cotton cloth will produce a beautiful handrubbed sheen.Thats what most custom gun builders use anyway .I have used Phil Pilkintons pre-64 red brown on many stocks .

·
Registered
426 Posts
If it is a rifle that is not taken to the field and is only a now-and-then range rifle, I would consider leaving it as is. Drill teams often have glossy finishes on their rifles. From what I can see of your rifle, I think it looks good. :>)

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
Your stock looks like an SAI M-21 stock, and I would not be happy with the glossy finish.

I would find out what he used on it. You can use the same stuff to wet sand it to a smooth, satin finish. Use 400 or 600 grit wet/dry paper, moving with the grain. Just do a few square inches at a time and wipe it off with a paper towel. You will fill the grain at the same time.

Here is one I did:

You can leave the stock on the rifle, although that will make it cumbersome to work with. Popping out the trigger assembly won't affect the bedding.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,298 Posts
Shiny finished are usually indicative of stocks that have been well sealed to prevent moisture from getting in and warping the wood. This is usually done on match grade rifles because BLO just doesn't do an adequate job. The finish can be toned down by rubbing with rotten stone or pumice, both of which are available from pant stores and Brownell's.

·
Banned
123 Posts
Hello,

I finally can touch LRB M25 that I've been waiting for a year. I was inspecting the build for the first time today at LGS. Love my rifle but too bad, it will be in jail for another 10 days here in California!

My question is the stock I sent in has a satin look and I like it that way very much. However, the builder put something on it and makes it look shiny. I know for sure the stock is bedded for the receiver, how would you fix it or restore the original satin look? Would it be a problem to remove the newly bedded stock? Please give some insight.

Regards,
When you find out what they put on it, let me know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.