M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first M!A scout squad. Looking to put a sage EBR MOD 0. Will I need to shim or is it just a drop in and go?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would say just go with it. Then if it needs to be shimmed, then shim it, its only a 10 minute job anyways. It may shoot fine out of the new stock.

·
Registered
540 Posts
When you get the Sage chassis it will come with a shim/crush washer.its usually ziptied to the oprod guide block they supply with the chassis.the shim/crush washer replaces the front band on the rifle.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Patriot Armory 308 made me a solid shim for my Sage setup to replace the front band and time the lock correctly. He made the OD to the diameter I requested so it's the same OD as my barrel. Very nice piece and only $10. I'd say it's worth hitting him up since I wasn't impressed with the supplied crush washer.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Patriot Armory 308 made me a solid shim for my Sage setup to replace the front band and time the lock correctly. He made the OD to the diameter I requested so it's the same OD as my barrel. Very nice piece and only $10. I'd say it's worth hitting him up since I wasn't impressed with the supplied crush washer.

He,he,he Patriot armory told me to pm you about this shim he made for you.didnt want to bug you so i never did.thanks for posting that.i hate the shim the chassis comes with.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I like that gas lock front sight, very cool and allows for more options for a muzzle brake or flash hider.
It's really a trade off. You actually lose muzzle options but increase front sight options. As far as I know only SEI, Troy and SureFire make direct connect muzzle devices for the M14. This is due to it's unusual thread size, .595X32.

I have a XS USN Mod 1 hooded front sight and a SureFire MB762-213 muzzle brake on it now.

Another option is the Delta P or SEI adapter with 5/8X24 thread which fits many brakes and flash suppressors but is made for the 22" barrel so you'd have to run the SA Inc. scout front sight. That wasn't an option for me personally so I went the route I did. For me I also wanted whatever muzzle device I went with to be sound suppressor capable as well for a future addition.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
He,he,he Patriot armory told me to pm you about this shim he made for you.didnt want to bug you so i never did.thanks for posting that.i hate the shim the chassis comes with.
All I did was install everything and measure the gap between the barrel shoulder and cylinder with a caliper as I tightened the gas lock. Once I hit about 4:30/5:00 on the last rotation I checked the measurement (was .062" on mine), then got the OD measurement (.8" on mine) and sent a MO with a note including the measurements. About a week later I had the shim in my hands and it was perfect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.