M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
We even have Sheriffs in NY doing this...

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Enforcement

Not to side track the concept of the OP but........... There are hundreds of laws that are not ever going to be enforced. Legislation is written by politicians, not LEO's.

An examples in my area. Talking on a hand held cell phone while driving, adult smoking in a vehicle occupied by a person under the age of 18 years old........ these are not enforced.

Thank goodness we still have some LEO's with common sense.

Hobo

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm glad to see these guys standing up against this. Acording to Frosh, a complete ban of the most popular firearm in the country isn't unconstitutional. Want an AK, nope, want an M1a, nope, want an AR carbine, nope, the list goes on. And unfortunately there are so many policially apointed judges, we won't get an answer from the courts on this issue in Maryland for YEARS.

Our court system is a joke. It takes forever and the idea that there is any unbiased justice coming from it is an illusion. Look at some of the decisions that have come from the courts in the last couple of years. Not just from the 2a side of the house, but even criminal. Its hillariously bad.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem with that is when a new sheriff is elected will they continue the policy or not.
Sheriffs, as elected officials, tend to reflect the folks who vote for them? So...it seems that if a particular electorate turns liberal, the Sheriff they elect would likely be anti-gun; or at least that's the way it's supposed to work?

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Funny, in a serious way

Sheriffs, as elected officials, tend to reflect the folks who vote for them? So...it seems that if a particular electorate turns liberal, the Sheriff they elect would likely be anti-gun; or at least that's the way it's supposed to work?
Even the most liberals of the liberals want a Sheriff who will do the same thing today that he did 200 years ago. Get his hands dirty, dealing with the bad guys, so they won't have to do it themselves. Their votes reflect this understanding.

Hobo

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Interesting!....but expected

So.....a thread starts on a good note about Law Enforcement....and gets seven replies in about 7 hours.....hmmmmm. Now, if it were bashing Law Enforcement there would be about 21 replies and probably still going strong with the thumpers talking about Jack Booted Thugs knocking down doors to confiscate all guns and how they would stand and fight the robotic LEO's...

Nice to see a good thread started and responses representing LE in a positive light...Thank you for that....not nice to see that there isn't much interest in it...

as for you MD folks......I prosecute and serve as witness for the State often...and yes MD is wishy washy.....Frederick County is hard core and Montgomery County barely slaps hands for the same crime......my beloved Baltimore County is going down in flames fast....all I can say is go West or North...I went North into PA and don't regret it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Seems as though Frosh implies that these sheriffs must obey the will of the judges. Seems to me as though he's advocating ruling from the bench and nothing more. How else would these liberal judges be expected to rule?
So glad to see this. I have faith in my sheriffs department. My next to last line of defense.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I'd probably be fired if I divulged how many laws I refuse to enforce.

GI8
Exactly my point...LEO's are not robots brainwashed to defeat you as they are painted to be most of the time. They are here on this forum, at the range, in the woods, and at gun shows with us sharing the same interests and hobbies.....

I hang with a ton of them.....they are my family, my friends, and my "Brothers"......all of them shooters, and 2A supporters....

Not everything is enforced......spirit of the law can be more impactful than letter of the law....

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Even the most liberals of the liberals want a Sheriff who will do the same thing today that he did 200 years ago. Get his hands dirty, dealing with the bad guys, so they won't have to do it themselves. Their votes reflect this understanding.

Hobo
Not exactly.

Here in CA we have anti-gun sheriffs. They still do the "I'm tough on (crime, drugs, gangs blah blah blah)" but they are super anti-gun, don't issue CCWs etc.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
The office of sheriff is probably one of the most unique elected positions. Usually a politician only answers to his constituents. A sheriff has to take care of people that directly work for him, plus he has to answer to constituents. Whereas some scum bag politician can legislate whatever he wants, he doesn't have to enforce it. The sheriff on the other hand has to consider whether certain laws are cost effective and whether or not putting his deputies at risk is a worthwhile endeavor.

Reactions: Mainzer

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
A Sheriff is the most powerful law enforcement Officer in the Country - within his own County, he IS the Law. He can tell the Feds to "get out of my County by sundown" if they are doing anything unConstitutional/Illegal in his view.

I worked as a Reserve Deputy in a Kansas Sheriff's Office long ago - and when I alluded to how we had to do what the Feds wanted, he laughed and said, "Not even remotely, Son - did you flunk Civics?" The base of power in the United States starts with each County - and the Sheriff. The Federal Govt. is a Creation of the States, and properly the servant, not the master. But you have to know that in order to make it so in reality. CC

Reactions: ray55classic

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
My Sheriff is a quick draw trick shooter and civil war reenactor as well as a Golden Gloves boxer in his youth....and I might add a friend as well.

Best Sheriff we've had in Angelina County.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exactly Col. Colt.....
Every LEO in the country, from Holder and the FBI down to city meter maids are either appointed or hired by appointees, EXCEPT Sheriffs who are elected! As such,they are the chief LEO in any county even if that county has a metropolis with a huge PD within it's boundaries.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've got a brother-in-law who is in his second term as Sheriff in a county in another state (which shall not be named). He is very pro-2nd Amendment and very common sense. He's been a paramedic, police officer, state trooper and deputy sheriff. He's one of the hardest working guys I've known.

We were talking this past weekend and he mentioned that he dislikes having the concealed carry permit info available when running license plates or driver's licenses. He'd rather have his deputies assume that everyone is armed since it's a rural/farming/******* kind of county. In his opinion, everyone (who is not a felon, of course) should be armed. He also thinks child molesters and rapists should be locked up and the key thrown away. ...An old-fashioned justice kind of guy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ours said he would not enforce any anti-gun laws. And he looked pissed when he said it.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
A Sheriff is the most powerful law enforcement Officer in the Country - within his own County, he IS the Law. He can tell the Feds to "get out of my County by sundown" if they are doing anything unConstitutional/Illegal in his view.

I worked as a Reserve Deputy in a Kansas Sheriff's Office long ago - and when I alluded to how we had to do what the Feds wanted, he laughed and said, "Not even remotely, Son - did you flunk Civics?" The base of power in the United States starts with each County - and the Sheriff. The Federal Govt. is a Creation of the States, and properly the servant, not the master. But you have to know that in order to make it so in reality. CC
So few understand this today, and even fewer are willing to back it up with their lives... make no mistake the Feds don't give a damn what the Constitution has to say.

Reactions: ray55classic
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.