M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically I want to know how you guys have your EBR set up and how you run it. Are you a bench shooter or a shoot & scoot type person like myself? Yeah it's a heavy platform for shooting on the move but over the past year and a half of ownership that's exactly how I've used it and I've developed my own TTPs for doing so. How do you use yours?

Here's how I use mine! Its HD with first person and from the tgts POV.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npH3HNpeA5Q[/ame]

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
Looks like you had way too much fun.
Not bad for a lefty.
Thanks for not using the bolt lock for a release.
Time for sling and positions next.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Hi,
Weight is relative I guess?

If I heard a bump out side I would grab my AR-15.

If I knew trouble was coming down the road, then my M14 or FAL!

Hanging out at my LGS I have to laugh sometimes at people wanting to trade in there CCW pistol, cause it's ounces to heavy!

This is a guy with 30# of gut hanging over his belt buckle!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about a SOCOM or at least a Scout instead?
I intended to get the SOCOM model but when I went in to the shop thy had just sold the last SOCOM. So I bought the national match, if I decide to get into long range shooting in the future Ill already be set up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
Weight is relative I guess?

If I heard a bump out side I would grab my AR-15.

If I knew trouble was coming down the road, then my M14 or FAL!

Hanging out at my LGS I have to laugh sometimes at people wanting to trade in there CCW pistol, cause it's ounces to heavy!

This is a guy with 30# of gut hanging over his belt buckle!
Weight is a huge variable to take into consideration. Just like anything else- with time and practice of handling your M-14 you'll eventually build up ore and more tolerance to the weight of the thing. Or if you don't shoot often do some shoulder workouts lol!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Im new to the forum so I figured I'd contribute where I can. I watched your vid and thought it was a fun shoot but you're calling this 'drills' and TTPs... I thought I'd stick my head in and offer some tips that might make you a more effective shooter. Just trying to be helpful take it or leave it

1- you have a pistol grip on that weapon so when you're moving point that muzzle to the sky (using both hands if necessary ) and move hard, fast and aggressively to the next shooting point, the idea is no fire without movement and no movement without fire (ie another person laying down fire while you move meaning you do not shoot yourself as gaining ground is the objective when assaulting a position

2- if your intent is training for CQB as an individual then you wont be running like you were... you'll have your weapon up at the threat, or indexed pre-empting the target

3- unless you're doing 'walk down's', you wont be changing magazines on the move towards an enemy, if you're alone do it in cover

4- take CONTROL of the rifle, don't have it loose and going all different angles, ie it is either up on target or indexed

5- this range was quite wide open, consider getting also getting into prone position FAST (remember every 2 shots move half a yard left or right)

6- move FAST, sprint between cover if alone- if you're firing 2-3 shots to put down suppressing fire to fight through the objective then make sure you're sprinting or by the time you arrive to close with and kill you'll have no ammo left

7- keep your magazines on the side of the hand that you will use to reload, instead of both hands coming off the rifle at various points

8- tailor your training each time to what you want to achieve CQB narrow, CQB open area, with/without support.

9- try throwing some random objects on the floor to make your firing lane more challenging, half my time doing this for a living has been spent avoiding falling over some crap between me and the objective

Just think every moment you are standing up and moving slowly with no fire is when you are likely to be killed. These drills should be extremely aggressive in nature, if you drop to a knee.... then drop like you're about to have your head taken off

hope this helped some and keep having fun :)

G

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Weight is a good thing it soaks up the recoil, with that said load up some 125TnT's or 135SMK and that will put you on equal footing with the AR fan Boi's. As in Zero, zip, nadda recoil be gone then you can go real fast looking like a heavy medal shooting stud.

·
Registered
458 Posts
So basically I want to know how you guys have your EBR set up and how you run it. Are you a bench shooter or a shoot & scoot type person like myself? Yeah it's a heavy platform for shooting on the move but over the past year and a half of ownership that's exactly how I've used it and I've developed my own TTPs for doing so. How do you use yours?

Here's how I use mine! Its HD with first person and from the tgts POV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npH3HNpeA5Q
Hello!

Thanks for posting the fun video! Just a quick question.... At 0:48 in the video as you have stood up and are walking in to the target, you let off a double, that doesn't look like it was intentional. Was this a bump fire double or did you mean to do this?

Regards

Baldur

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Not wanting to start a "Ford vs Chevy" type argument, but I have competed in a few THREE GUN and "Practical Rifle " matches with 7.62 NATO powered "HEAVY METAL". And I am also a former Canadian trained infantryman, so I have some understanding of the difference between games and tactical.

My experience with running CQB courses of fire with a genuine full powered "battle rifle" have convinced me that no heavy metal will ever be a champion at short range/ mutiple targets/ fast time scenarios. BUT, it is simply amazing how fast you can get if you set up your equipment correctly.

Back in the day, I actually won several local and regional matches using an 18.5" barreled AR10 M4GRY, with an early red dot sight, using 123 gr light loads, through an effective comp. This set up usually beat all.comers, including AR 15s, AKs, etc. It was OPTIMISED specifically for the CQB games we played, where one hit with MAJOR was worth two hits of minor. Given those rules, and given 10 - 300 yd scenarios, it was ideal.

I took that experience into consideration when I designed the BLACKFEATHER M14 CHASSIS SYSTEM. The Blackfeather is quite a bit lighter, than any SAGE/EBR. And that lightness shows up mostly at the front, which makes the BF much more nimble and quicker on fast multiple targets. Add in the HIGH butt stock adaptor for straight line recoil control, and an effective compensator, and the BF chassis system is simply easier to move around on fast close targets than any EBR.

This opinion is based on my personal experience.
Your experience and
YPMMV
(;-[)

PS: one of my shooting buddies is a top competitor at "practical rifle" games AND ALSO TEACHES CAN NAVY BOARDING PARTIES CQB. He has tried a BF stocked M14 in CQB scenarios, and while he did like it, he set up.his personal Blackfeather M14 as a mid range/ long range rifle, and still.uses an AR 15 M4gery for the quick and dirty stuff.

You can not.make a heavy hauling draft horse into a winning barrel racer. But it IS sometimes a lot of fun trying. There is something special about showing up with any M14 at a "practical" rifle match. You may not win, but you get a lot of RESPECT for shooting a MANLY rifle.
(;-[)
LAZ1

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about the double tap. Was it intentional or a surprise? Either way I like these shoot and scoot videos. I switched my EBR to my full size from the socom because it was too heavy for what I intended it for. The fiberglass stock it now sits in seems to be better suited for my needs. I'll probably end up selling the EBR all together because I just don't need it anymore. My cool factor has worn off and now it's just sitting there.

I also think that the best run and gun optic is one the allows you the best field of view. I went with a micro reflex and a protective mount which has allowed me to pick up targets on the move as well as keep my field of view open. Just a thought, I love eotechs and will NOT be sending mine back. Mine have done just fine in the heat of southern utah as well as the snow covered mountains while elk hunting in sub zero temps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
had a look around for a decent 'shoot/scoot' type video. actually difficult to find since most of youtube shooting consists of hitting steel plates at 15 yards. There is ALOT of crap videos out there that's for sure!!

Found this one though, it is actually a lot better than most of the military and civilian agencies I seen. It gives an idea of the type of speed/aggression in the movement that is required though. (even so this is still a lot slower than what is ideal)

Enjoy!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seMNyBOF_tY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seMNyBOF_tY[/ame]

·
Registered
458 Posts
had a look around for a decent 'shoot/scoot' type video. actually difficult to find since most of youtube shooting consists of hitting steel plates at 15 yards. There is ALOT of crap videos out there that's for sure!!

Found this one though, it is actually a lot better than most of the military and civilian agencies I seen. It gives an idea of the type of speed/aggression in the movement that is required though. (even so this is still a lot slower than what is ideal)

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seMNyBOF_tY
That's a cool vid! Like seeing that type of gun culture take root in Slovenia of all places.

But if you like good "Shoot and Scoot" vids with no Shiite gun reviews may I introduce you to my friend Mr. Nutnfancy?

[ame]https://youtu.be/2jJsYV1nGag[/ame] (More M1A review than shoot n scoot but still plenty of the latter)

[ame]https://youtu.be/oLMV8n_tW-A[/ame] Lots of shoot n scoot (the famous sledgehammer trial) with M1A

Enjoy!

Baldur

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.