M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
937 Posts
Bravo Zulu, very nice….

I have a C-Sharp Arms 1875 in .40-65 and two Rolling Blocks also, in .43 Spanish and .45-70… Big Bore Single shots are kick=A*#... Trapdoors are too!!!!

Long Live William "Billy" Dixon!!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Long Live the Sharps!

Bravo Zulu, very nice….

I have a C-Sharp Arms 1875 in .40-65 and two Rolling Blocks also, in .43 Spanish and .45-70… Big Bore Single shots are kick=A*#... Trapdoors are too!!!!

Long Live William "Billy" Dixon!!!
Nice collection! I own a lovely custom 1874 C. Sharps in 45-90. Oh, and a "new" Winchester 1885 High-Wall (yeah; Miroku-built, but still; very nicely built & with it's Badger bbl, also v. accurate in 45-90! 3 shots of 535gr cast into 1" @ 100 meters!)

The article a few years back by Mike Venturino about the famous Billy Dixon shot and Mike's carefully documented re-test of that @ Adobe Walls shot was fascinating. What was Dixon's range again? ≈1578 yds?

A shot tempered with some luck to be sure, as even Billy himself noted, but also, to more or less place that bullet in the mostly deadly "Minute of Indian Chief" PoI was quite the feat.

But then, I suppose if you or I spent our entire adult lives out each day popping off our Sharps at far-distant targets, we'd develop a purty-good "feel" for our rifle's behavior, huh?

Enjoy! BTW, check out that new Lyman "shrunken" Chiappa Sharps in 38-55 & .22 Hornet. Sorta begs for a conversion into .22 K-Hornet, doesn't it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The article a few years back by Mike Venturino about the famous Billy Dixon shot and Mike's carefully documented re-test of that @ Adobe Walls shot was fascinating. What was Dixon's range again? ≈1578 yds?

That article sounds interesting. Do you know where I could find it?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Very nice. I've got an Italian replica 1874 in 45-70 that I love to shoot.

·
Banned
937 Posts
Trooper Billy Dixon, Medal of Honor Recipient, 6th U.S. Cavalry

Hope these two links will help....

http://www.friendsofbillydixon.org/a...e_Article_.pdf

http://www.friendsofbillydixon.org/a...ly Dixon.pdf

As I remember, Billy lost his original shooter in a wagon turn over in a creek... He bought a new Sharps, but during the battle he was undercover in a building away from his new Sharps and made the shot with a barrowed rifle.

As remember in Mike Venturino's book, they are not sure of the caliber, the conjecture it was a 50-90...

One another note, I just put money down on a M1873 Springfield trapdoor rifle with NM bore that someone had butcher the stock. I'm going to put all new wood on it and it will my number one Trapdoor (rifle) shooter. I have more than a few....

More thoughts on this subject from all who enjoy big single shots, where the shot is always "The First Shot"

Here is a picture all will enjoy. God Rest Trooper Billy Dixon, Medal of Honor Recipient and his service to our country…..

http://www.homeofheroes.com/gravesit...illiam_tx.html

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detai...on-william.php

·
Registered
914 Posts
Here's the DOPE!!

Yup; I did find it, but my error: it wasn't by Mike V. It was in the book Precision Shooting at 1,000 Yards, Edited by Dave Brenman and published by Precision Shooting, Inc., 222 McKee Street, Manchester, CT 06040. Page 171. Most recent re-print was 2009. It's a compendium of a number of articles on long-range shooting. The article, Chapter 10, was written by M. L. McPherson (of Cartridges of The World fame, since he took over the editorship from the late Frank Barnes).

They used XMP5744 (one of my favorite powders for the 45-70 & -90, BTW...) They shot at their long-range target (a silhouette of a mounted rider) 130 times and hit it 13 times. 10%. Not bad @ 1540 yds, their laser-measured firing range. and with a C. Sharps to boot! The cartridges? Two of them were a .45-110 and a .50-90, plus a 40-60 Falin (Falin is the chief ballistician at Accurate Arms, and one of the rifles is a custom C. Sharps). Of interest, one of the .40 cal bullets was 400 gr, starting out @ ≈1200 fps. The time to impact was a staggering 5.3 seconds. Anna one, anna two, anna three, etc. etc. And so on until...THUD!

Then there's part two, starting on page 184. This is a very intriguing combined article. As a Sharps shooter, you would do well to find and buy this book, but if you really can't find it, let me know and I'll crudely Xerox and mail it to you!

(BTW, this book is also chock-full of other very interesting articles on ultra-long rang shooting, but with somewhat more modern rifles & cartridges. Useful stuff! Enjoy! GI2

Reactions: IC2(SS)19Z50C5

·
Banned
937 Posts
Precision Shooting at 1,000 Yards

Edited by Dave Brenman and published by Precision Shooting, Inc.,

Thanks MesaRifle, I’ll look to see if I can get this book off of Amazon or through Powells.com.

·
Banned
937 Posts
Brennan’s book

BTW, this book is also chock-full of other very interesting articles on ultra-long rang shooting, but with somewhat more modern rifles & cartridges. Useful stuff! Enjoy! GI2
I just picked up my copy of Brennan’s book, PRECISION SHOOTING AT 1000 YARDS at the P.O....

Looks like a great read.

On Amazon, under reader's reviews some “Pud” was complaining there were no “techniques” explaining how to shoot long distance, or some other stupid [email protected]#t like that. When I read his belly aching complaint, my first thought was, another candidate for bowling…

·
Registered
914 Posts
The Technique

I just picked up my copy of Brennan’s book, PRECISION SHOOTING AT 1000 YARDS at the P.O....

Looks like a great read.

On Amazon, under reader's reviews some “Pud” was complaining there were no “techniques” explaining how to shoot long distance, or some other stupid [email protected]#t like that. When I read his belly aching complaint, my first thought was, another candidate for bowling…
Glad you found it! A good read on many aspects of long-range shootin'!!

How To Shoot LD!

Hmmmm.. Yah points thuh skinny end of yur smokepole down-range, and yah pullz thuh trigger (thet little sharp, pointy thing under teh GUN), and it goes click... Kah-Pow! 'Course, yuh gots tuh hold'er up a bit, and intah the wind, and then see WharSheSmaks thuh ground... Splat

Now, if you're under a life & death siege from the aboriginals, who indeed did have a just and righteous gripe with those crazy white boyz down in The Walls, you might well "larn up" a bit quicker (or die trying...). Or take the career path of our hero Billy Dixon, who spent most of his days out there with his horse, wagon, and his "possibles and necessaries" bag, black powder kegger and other equipment required to make up his various loads.

Wouldn't that be a fun existence for a few months, huh? Plinking your way across the west, though I'm not sure I'd enjoy slaughtering the buff just so I could leave their stinking bodies to rot out on the plains, and ship only their hides back east. But the rifle-shooting part? Wonderful!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts