M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the rubber buttpad from my SAI Scout on my nice walnut, match stock. It didn't fit from several perspectives, so I ordered a rubber buttpad from Fulton Armory. That fits a lot better. Plus there are metal sleeves inserted where the screw holes are, unlike SAI's product.

The Fulton Armory buttpad fits a lot better as I said, but it's proud of the stock in some places - especially around the top. There was a note about "grinding" to fit that came with the buttpad. I've tried using a file but that's not great. What are my alternatives?

Thanks for any ideas/advice.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I've used abrasive paper backed with a hard surface like a piece of wood or plastic. Be sure to put some masking tape on your stock when you do your final fitment!

Here's something similar:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2AqHdEqg4I&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN-REbz-XF0[/ame]

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
My daughter gave me a DeWalt reciprocating sander a few years ago, works great on buttstock hard rubber/plastic pads. I secure the firearm in a bench cradle and do the shaping with the fine pad that comes with the sander, use plenty of masking tape around the aft portion of the stock. The little sander cuts and follows quickly & exactly where you guide it, not too much, not too little, just right where a belt sander would be too much and a pad sander too little/too slow. A bench grinder or sander is still the gunsmith's gold standard for this, I guess, but a real good old 'smith to whom I loaned my sander likes it a lot, too. He can trim buttpads with it at his desk.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - that's just what I needed!

Masking tape, 100 grit sandpaper moving up to 400, power sander, Larry's little jig is a great concept, and I never would have thought to use a buffing wheel at the end. I should be good to go now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts