M14 Forum banner

SGT YORKS WEAPON .....

4653 Views 28 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  neolithic hunter
Cant remember offhand where or when I was involved in this particualar discussion but the 'ole timers such as the 03 and 03A3 came up under discussion and someone (can't remember who offhand) stated that in the "movie" Sgt York which starred Gary Cooper it showed him using an 03 when in fact the "real" Sgt York used an entirely different weapon such as an Enfield perhaps or whatever it was ....

Can anyone out there verify this and make the truth be known here ... :?:

Six
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Banned
122 Posts
the only collector value im looking for is representational. i dont expect them to have cartouched stocks or every part matching. i dont own but 2 garands that are like that out of about 15 military style rifles.

thanks for the imput tho, it will be applied at time of purchase...

david

· Registered
166 Posts
ltdave - I don't expect most WWI or WWII rifles to be all matching. I collect for the sake of what they are. What I do expect is for them to have the correct parts, even if they are a mix match.

I own a couple of Springfield 03's and they are not matching but they are definitely correct in the parts and stocks which is what I was looking for. The same goes for my Enfields, Mausers and so forth. One of the few rifles I have that is matching is a Turk mauser believe it or not.

The only rifles I have that are not that way are my hunting rifles which are highly sporterized mausers - definitely no longer stock and I bought or traded for because of how they looked and how they shot - I already had the stock rifles. Oh and my Garand because it's got a commercial receiver - but that's because somebody I knew needed money and I said I'd buy it.

Collector rifles - military are rarely matching these days (number wise) but should at a minimum have the correct stock and correct parts.

Good hunting.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
ltdave
Seems a little bit high for a M1917 with a commercial stock. Repark could have been done during Ordnance rebuild. Are you sure the stock is a commercial mfg.? Looks at the end of the front of the stock and see if it has either an "E", "R", or "W". If it has one of these letters, the stock is G.I.. After WWll M1917's were Arsenal overhauled and sold through the NRA. Stocks were sanded and were rough and the rifles were parkerized.

Regards

Ox

· Registered
98 Posts
Sgt. York used an M1917. One's built late in the war, like my two 10-18 barrel dated Eddystones, were Parkerized from the get go. At least that's my understanding. If they would on opening, and had adjustable windage, then no bolt gun could touch 'em. As they are they are still up there. Would only choose my No.4 before them as my fighting boltgun (much faster cycling).

· Registered
822 Posts
I converted my M1917 to " on opening" but changed it back during a quasi-military range sessions when we were trying to use various rifles as they would have been in combat. The SMLE's on closing was by far the fastest cycling bolt action around. I put the standard parts back and greatly improved my full magazine aimed fire times.

Another advantage appeared after the restoration to stock " on closing." Several M1903 shooters were having major problems with opening the bolt after their rifles got dirty and hot. One rifle almost took tools to open. Was all the same lot of ammo. When I tried some in the M1917 there were no problems -- all the physical force in turning the bolt is applied to primary extraction, none to trying to the rifle.

There's a bit of footage shown on TV all the time, usually regarding the adoption of the M1 Rifle. Note the rifleman's difficulty getting that '03 bolt open next time you see it.

-- Chuck

· Registered
98 Posts
Chuck S.,
That's pretty interesting. This is what I've found. My No.4 is a very fast boltgun to cycle. But my impression is that it's got more to do with it's rear lugs than the on closing feature. I cannot cycle my M1917s nearly as fast. Also the cocking spring is much heavier on the '17 than on the No.4. I have to be more deliberate when closing it's bolt. Still I've never run any of my boltguns to the point where they are really hot. Yes I've heard that it can cause unlocking problems, but I never experienced them on my (since sold) '03. The reason I wasn't so thrilled with the on closing is that it tends to push the rifle out of your shoulder. '03s close much more smoothly. Well, maybe the Brits were really onto something.

· Registered
3 Posts
yea in the move they screwed up by having gary cooper use a luger pistol if i rember my histroy correctly york used a 1911 and not a luger. movie guy's put a luger in coopers hand because it looked cooler.. go figger i think the luger looks nice (have a couple of them) but a 1911 is the coolest... ;)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.