M14 Forum banner

SGT YORKS WEAPON .....

4656 Views 28 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  neolithic hunter
Cant remember offhand where or when I was involved in this particualar discussion but the 'ole timers such as the 03 and 03A3 came up under discussion and someone (can't remember who offhand) stated that in the "movie" Sgt York which starred Gary Cooper it showed him using an 03 when in fact the "real" Sgt York used an entirely different weapon such as an Enfield perhaps or whatever it was ....

Can anyone out there verify this and make the truth be known here ... :?:

Six
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
The price wouldn't be bad for one except for your saying they look to have been reparked and new commercial stocks on them.

That leads me to suspect they are not stock rifles to say the least, in which case their value is nothing. Reparked would be okay as it might of been done say when it was rearsenaled (which has happened to many a rifle), but commercial stocks takes away most if not all the collector value of the rifle.

My advice is to do some research on the net to see what the rifle stocks should look like then check the rifles out themselves before you take the plunge and buy. And don't forget to dicker - you never know they might come down on price, especially if they got them in on trade.

However, if they've been sporterized, then don't even bother.

· Registered
166 Posts
ltdave - I don't expect most WWI or WWII rifles to be all matching. I collect for the sake of what they are. What I do expect is for them to have the correct parts, even if they are a mix match.

I own a couple of Springfield 03's and they are not matching but they are definitely correct in the parts and stocks which is what I was looking for. The same goes for my Enfields, Mausers and so forth. One of the few rifles I have that is matching is a Turk mauser believe it or not.

The only rifles I have that are not that way are my hunting rifles which are highly sporterized mausers - definitely no longer stock and I bought or traded for because of how they looked and how they shot - I already had the stock rifles. Oh and my Garand because it's got a commercial receiver - but that's because somebody I knew needed money and I said I'd buy it.

Collector rifles - military are rarely matching these days (number wise) but should at a minimum have the correct stock and correct parts.

Good hunting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.