M14 Forum banner

SGT YORKS WEAPON .....

4661 Views 28 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  neolithic hunter
Cant remember offhand where or when I was involved in this particualar discussion but the 'ole timers such as the 03 and 03A3 came up under discussion and someone (can't remember who offhand) stated that in the "movie" Sgt York which starred Gary Cooper it showed him using an 03 when in fact the "real" Sgt York used an entirely different weapon such as an Enfield perhaps or whatever it was ....

Can anyone out there verify this and make the truth be known here ... :?:

Six
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
676 Posts
it was 30-06. i've read various report either 1903 or 1917. numbers would point you it being a 1917. since approximately 2/3 of all rifles used in europe during WWI were Eddystone manufactured 1917s.

· Registered
676 Posts
yeah six that threw my one buddy when i brought home the 1917. he had no idea what it was and it didn't look anything like any enfield he had in his collection. i had to drag out my copy of janes guns to show him it was a US rifle and an Enfield.

also Sgt. York's medal of honor citation does not say what weapon he used, some citations do.

Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Army, Company G, 328th Infantry, 82d Division. Place and date: Near Chatel-Chehery, France, 8 October 1918. Entered service at: Pall Mall, Tenn. Born: 13 December 1887, Fentress County, Tenn. G.O. No.: 59, W.D., 1919. Citation: After his platoon had suffered heavy casualties and 3 other noncommissioned officers had become casualties, Cpl. York assumed command. Fearlessly leading 7 men, he charged with great daring a machinegun nest which was pouring deadly and incessant fire upon his platoon. In this heroic feat the machinegun nest was taken, together with 4 officers and 128 men and several guns.
this is taken from http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohwwi.htm

for some really interesting reading read his diary.. he talks about his rifle being full of grease! sounds familiar. also, he doesn't mention what kind of rifle he had on oct. 8, 1918. http://volweb.utk.edu/Schools/York/diary.html

· Registered
676 Posts
you're very welcome six.

i really enjoyed reading myself.

this entry is priceless

APRIL 18th
St. Silva--We had a review and I got my medal of honor, and then I went to division headquarters and had my photo made.
so typical of the true hero. subtle and understates the importance of the event.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.