M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance, but I am starting my first attempt at shooting XCT. I downloaded and read the NRA Highpower Service Rifle Rules and think I understand correctly, but I need some clarification.

Regarding shooting in the off-hand or standing postion, can the 20 rd box magazine be used as the forward support point, because a box magazine is not considered to be a palm rest? (3.14)

At this point, I thought it's OK.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You can do it, and many do, but I suggest you find a method that doesn't involve placing your hand on the bottom of the mag. First, the position really makes the standing position more unstable because you are trying to balance lateral movement of the rifle weight as it sits on a 6" fulcrum. My second issue with it is safety. If, by some chance, you have case head rupture, the gasses will escape down through the magazine. If using good quality ammo, this shouldn't be an issue but it can happen. I had it happen to me one time shooting crappy ammo in a FAL. It blew the floorplate off the magazine and would not have done my hand any good had it been there. That was about 20 years ago and I still won't place my hand there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
levisdad, any chance you'll be shooting the HP match on 1/22 at Rio? I am going to make that my first. Maybe I'll see you there?

KYShooter, never even thought of that. I shoot my Garand resting on the base of my thumb just in front of the triggerguard. I'll try a diiferent position with my M1A while practicing. The bottom of the mag just seems so natural. My elbow sets right at my waist.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes Sir, I'm planning on going. I'm one of the few that still shoot a 14 XTC. Let me know if you need anything.

My friend uses the mag hold and for him it works great. Once he tried it his scores went up. Now he is hooked.

The mag hold feels to abnormal for me. I stand my hand straight up with the gun resting in the v of my hand between the mag and the trigger guard. I have to be careful not to partialy activate the safey or the mag release. Also I kick my rist forward so it rests on the mag. This hold works for me.

Bottom line is, you have tinker with it to find what works for you.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I use different grasps depending on the firing point. If it's sloped downward, then yeah, I hang onto the magazine.

FWIW, the only times I've heard of mags blown out is when a round was chambered.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I shoot with the mag resting in my palm. I was taught that way in the Corps and have tried other ways, but found them not to be as stable. We were also taught this method with the M16. The position allows me to rest my elbow on my body which creates more stability. Just my two centsGI2

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I always used the bottom of the mag as the palm rest. As did the vast majority of service rifle shooters I was competing with.
KyShooter does bring up a valid safety point. Although I've never seen it happen during the offhand stage of a high power match. Via the rules; you will be loading the rifle single round one at a time. With the M1A you should load the one round into the top of the magazine so that it's held in place by the magazine feed lips. Don't drop the round directly into the chamber and close the bolt!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I seem to recall years ago, and I might have it wrong, that the elbow could not touch the shooters body when standing?? Also, during rapid fire, your reload had to come from a belt pouch on the shooter. Anyone heard of this before?GI1

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, again I am the rookie, but my reading/understanding is that the elbow can rest on the body/coat, but nothing can be worn so that the elbow can rest on that. (ie. mag pouch on a belt)

I have a cartidge holder that fits in my coat pocket, but I don't think the rules require that you couldn't have a box of ammo next to you to work from.

Just my understanding though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts