M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Without looking at the link right now (I will though), I was brought up with stories about the Indians, who it was said could move silently through a carpet of dead dry leaves and stuff like that. Especially in the off season, I used to go to great pains to move as silently as possible, including wearing moccasins and soft clothing, and saw some amazing wildlife scenes in the process. But I also came to realise that for hunting it paid better to move more normally but at unexpected times, like for instance in rain storms, because animals learn humans don't go out in the woods then. As far as a shot goes, I suspect those do alert older deer and other game, but the only answer is to hunt with a bow or cross bow- but deer will learn to alert to the twang of the bow string as well, just not as far away.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Sweets beat me. Trap.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Without looking at the link right now (I will though), I was brought up with stories about the Indians, who it was said could move silently through a carpet of dead dry leaves and stuff like that. Especially in the off season, I used to go to great pains to move as silently as possible, including wearing moccasins and soft clothing, and saw some amazing wildlife scenes in the process.
But I also came to realise that for hunting it paid better to move more normally but at unexpected times, like for instance in rain storms, because animals learn humans don't go out in the woods then. As far as a shot goes, I suspect those do alert older deer and other game, but the only answer is to hunt with a bow or cross bow- but deer will learn to alert to the twang of the bow string as well, just not as far away.
Not to 'nit-pick', Sweets...but isn't that a classic example of 'Anthropomorphism'?

(Merriam Webster Dictionary: Anthropomorphism---an interpretation of what is not human...in terms of human characteristics)

Sure, Critters aren't as alert in the middle of a storm, for the same reason we aren't....but it's not because they aren't expecting danger, it's because it's harder to detect danger when a person OR an animal is hunkered down trying to stay dry and warm and sheltered instead of focusing on looking and listening for 'predators'.

Just saying...

GI2

CAVman...hunkered down in WYoming

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Hunting may be a big part of your survival the noise of a shot may scare off more game
what's your idea.
http://preparingwithdave.com/semi-silent-hunting/#.UrQxkE2x5cs
I have a very similar air rifle I keep in my garage for pesky pigeons and squirrels...but in terms of 'Semi-Silent Hunting'...my personal opinion is that even these latest and greatest air rifles are basically no quieter than a suppressed .22 rifle!
Especially with sub-sonic .22 Ammo!
My take on it is...rather than have an entirely different platform for the field in a 'broken arrow' scenario...having a favorite .22 rifle Suppressed is a better way to go!
I favor my Marlin Papoose!
In the case, the Papoose, two barrels, extra mags, regular .22 ammo and sub-sonic .22 ammo... and a simple AAC Pilot Suppressor, ready to go!
Very Flexible Platform!
Infinite Possibilities!
GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I used to have a potentially supersonic .22 calibre air rifle for small game. They are definitely the way to go for rabbits squirrels and such, not only for the sake of not scaring other game but also not alerting other humans you have found food. The thing I had was by Benjamin with a higher tech scope than any other scope I owned, and for some reason they made it to weigh more than an M14. Unfortunately that made it sink extra fast when the canoe tipped over, but anyway the thing was so heavy it was very hard to shoot off hand, and the trigger was unbelievably lousy as well.

One issue I had was to keep the rifle subsonic, otherwise you got a loud .22-like crack as the pellet broke the sound barrier, also hypervelocity didn't improve accuracy and the pellets would generally keyhole a paper target due to tumbling. You had to use heavier ammo and avoid regular gun oil (which caused dieseling, ie, a mini-explosion).

The new CO2 piston systems are the way to go BTW, check them out, you can leave the rifle cocked forever without weakening the main spring or losing air compression. I would buy one again, in fact maybe I will, just not one that weights 12 pounds.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
After killing a couple of deer with a bow, I think the best silent way to take bigger game would be with a quality cross bow.

I was impressed how well and fast, my cut on contact Mangus Buzzcut Broadhead killed the doe and Buck I shot...

I would also like to try a "shotgun slingshot" for smaller game like birds, rabbits and squirrel.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I'm a firm believer that while noise from firearm discharges does alert other game in the area, for the most part that's all it does (alert them) I have seen on numerous occasions where other game is jumped or flushed easily within 100 yards of an area where multiple shots had been fired less than 5 minutes prior. Most deer just lay down or slowly walk the other way in the woods - open range would be different obviously, as there is no cover available.

Oh, and other than a bow - suppressor fire is preferred to retain my cover and chance for a needed follow - up shot if necessary. Not so much for scaring off any other game nearby, as I should already have what I came out for. GI2

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
Art, are you using subsonic loads on those coyotes?
Just a standard load. The area I am in has a lot of spruce trees so you really don't hear the crack anyway. I have always been going to load up some subs, but decided that I didn't need it so why bother. There are way too many projects for the loading bench as it is.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ya gotta wonder how critters would associate the bang with thunder in the rain or at any time. Not to mention trees falling and in farm country, machinery noise. The woods are not a silent place at all times. I've shot deer and had others that I had to run off when walking up to the downed animal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts