M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased this week my first M1A. SA standard with synthetic stock. Will go to the range Saturday to shoot. Cant wait! Smith mount has been ordered and will be in next week. But I also would like to use an Aimpoint from time to time. Is it possible to put the front rail of a scout rifle on a standard rifle? I emailed SA but no reply yet. I think it would be great to have both mounts. What do you think? Thank you in advance for replys. This looks like an excellent forum!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Posiedon

I think that having both mounts would be a tad on the heavy side. The only reason for both I could see needing the scout mount would be for a long eye releif scope. And an Aimpoint will work just fine on the Smith mount.

Keith

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Keith. I would like to mount the Aimpoint a little farther down the rifle to open up my field of view. Are the scout mounts attached to the upper hand guard? I would use either the scope OR the Aimpoint not both at the same time. Do you think that the scout mount would add that much weight to the rifle? My rifle with a full 20 round mag does not feel too heavy at all (though will add smith mount and bipod soon) at this point.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Welcome to the board Poseidon, it’s good to have you here.

It is my understanding that the scout mount that Springfield Armory Inc. has, clamps on to the barrel and there is a hole cut in the handguard for the mount to protrude through.

Having two mounts would add some weight, how much I couldn’t say, I don’t think it would be anything too drastic though; you talk about adding more and more on to the weapon and then things will start to add up. I really like my Smith mount and if you’re looking at switching between a regular scope and an Aimpoint you might just think of sticking with the one mount like the Smith or an ARMS and foregoing the scout mount.

-Chris

·
Registered
498 Posts
Poseidon said:
Purchased this week my first M1A. SA standard with synthetic stock. Will go to the range Saturday to shoot. Cant wait! Smith mount has been ordered and will be in next week. But I also would like to use an Aimpoint from time to time. Is it possible to put the front rail of a scout rifle on a standard rifle? I emailed SA but no reply yet. I think it would be great to have both mounts. What do you think? Thank you in advance for replys. This looks like an excellent forum!

Poseidon,

Here is an Aimpoint on a Smith Mount.........

A big plus with this set up is being able to still use the Iron Sights with Aimpoint installed.
Greg

·
Registered
126 Posts
I examined a scout mount last weekend and it does indeed clamp pretty robustly to the barrel. Then the side of the hand guard is trimmed to allow the upper half of the mount to pass through. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.