M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
That's wild, It's not often I'm totally surprised, that rifle is something I've never seen, or even heard of.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Reactions: ray55classic

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Reactions: SGT John SWF

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Enjoyed the video, never seen anything like that.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I would really like more details on how this operated and how you use those sites. Maybe some Kentucky windage?GI3
Some one mentioned a cam in the comments. Ok let me start guessing a piston with a ramp on it that lifted the bolt out of battery. Then it has a block that catches the bolt lug forcing it back and some seriously coarse threads to rotate that out of the way allowing the spring to send it all home. I feel for the guy that discovered the need for the head guard. Gives scope eye a whole new meaning. GI3
That is just way too cool! Thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
The guy who modded the rifle was obviously a time traveler. AR 3-gunners use similar offset sights today (must've been a lefty). How bout the modern 1911 beavertail on there? Adjustable gas piston (not Di)....

Am I right???

·
Registered
480 Posts
crazy cool!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Very cool, not exactly left hand friendly though! I am surprised that the Japanese didn't pick up on this and convert Arisaka's over to semi autos! The Japs really had some oddball firearms!

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Wow! That is a prime example of getting it done. Would have loved to see it running. Could you imagine being the tester?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Whoah, definitely cool!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been to Reed Knight's Museum in Titusville, and it is truly amazing. He allows photography in the section of the museum that houses this Springfield. It follows the development of firearms from before the revolution through modern battlefield small arms. He also has several larger pieces like a SEAL Scoprion and smaller Fast Attack Boat. Upstairs, he has a museum that includes Eugene Stoner's desk and mock up of his workspace, and a room full of prototype AR's, and IIRC the first serial numbers produced by Colt. He also has just about every military firearm in use in the last 50 years, including some very rare and early prototypes of them as well. They didn't allow photography in this area and our time in this room was very limited. He also has an Armor Museum on the property that had tanks and other armored vehicles that in 2012 included an M60. I hear that he has since acquired an M1 series tank as well.

Jason

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
A truly unique piece! If you read Hatcher's Notebook, he has pictures of several similar prototype rifles. At the time, Springfield Armory and the Ordnance Department wanted to facilitate design of a semi-automatic rifle, so they provided M1903 rifles to inventors to modify with their own system. This was done to save the designers the expense and time required to build their own receiver, barrel, stock, etc. Several of them consisted of a gas system to bleed gas off, which in turn moved a rod that simply manipulated the existing bolt! It was eventually decided that none of these designs was even remotely practical, and entirely new designs were developed and considered which eventually led to the M1 Garand.

We laugh at the absurdity of some of these designs today, but at the time, nobody had done what these men were setting out to do.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
At the end of the video one of these guys says, next he will show us the next step in the evolution. I have not been able to find that video. Any one know what he is talking about? This kind of history is addictive! GI3

1 - 20 of 25 Posts