M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how many select-fire M1As were produced by Springfield Armory? The one I am buying is serial #028XXX. What I would like to know is if anyone has information on just how many of these were manufactured by SAI.
Not talking about conversions.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does anyone know how many select-fire M1As were produced by Springfield Armory? The one I am buying is serial #028XXX. What I would like to know is if anyone has information on just how many of these were manufactured by SAI.
Not talking about conversions.
Thanks for your help.

125 if I remember correctly,

James

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would just try and call them. If they built it they could probable give information on how many they built.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a pending transfer for a Factory Select Fire M1A, serial #038XXX

The guy I am buying it from got it from one of the Reese brothers directly, was a friend or something.

If there were only 125 produced, I would assume that they would be worth a bit more than the conversions/rewelds.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
If there were only 125 produced, I would assume that they would be worth a bit more than the conversions/rewelds.
Smith Enterprise, Inc. built a "few more than 176" NFA transferrable select fire M-14 rifles before May 1986. These were billet machined receivers. Springfield Armory, Inc. made 125 NFA transferrable select fire M1A rifles before May 1986 wth investment cast receivers. These ~ 301 rifles are the only factory built commercial manufacture select fire M14 type rifles ever made. The select fire Chinese M14 rifles were made by a government owned facility, State Arsenal 356, Kunming, Yunnan, People's Republic of China. The same goes for the T57 rifle, those were produced at the 60th Arsenal, Kaoshiung, Taiwan.

For clarity, there's a difference between a select fire conversion and a reweld. In a select fire conversion, an intact semi-automatic receiver is altered after it has left the factory. Rock Island Armory, no longer in business but also owned by the Reese family, made thirty-five select fire M1A conversions before May 1986. There have been other BATF approved commercial M14 conversions performed by Hard Times Armory, R.P.B. Industries, Earl Banta, Charles Erb, Pearl Manufacutring, and Neal Smith. In the case of the M14, the operating rod rail is modified and a selector lug is added to the receiver. The select fire parts (selector shaft, switch, spring, pin and connector assembly) are then installed. As a bit of trivia, a Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A connector assembly is different than a USGI M14 connector assembly. That is because the forward underside groove on the operating rod rail of the select fire M1A is 0.030 " narrower than the USGI drawing 7790189 dimension.

A reweld refers to welding two receiver halves back together to form a firearm. For the M14, rewelds were usually done on cut USGI M14 receiver halves. Both semi-automatic (Hahn Machine and Co. and Pearl Manufacturing) and select fire (Bill Fleming, H&R Gun Co., John Norrell Arms, Inc., Neal Smith, Specialty Arms Co., and Metro Tech, Ltd.) firearms were created legally by rewelding receivers in the past. Do not do this now, it's illegal.

Based on what I've seen in the Class 3 ads over the years, a commercial manufacture select fire M14/M1A brings about the same amount as a rewelded select fire USGI M14. The ball park range over the last three or four years is $10,000 to $15,000. $12,000 seems to be a typical selling price. I haven't seen much of a price difference between a factory built select fire M14/M1A (Smith Enterprise or Springfield Armory, Inc.) or a select fire conversion of a commercial M14/M1A. FWIW and YMMV

·
Registered
544 Posts
Can an M14 be converted to select fire legally by doing the batf paperwork and paying the tax?

I had a co-worker who had his ffl's and he was into fully automatic machine guns at the time he was into taking dewats and making them into fully operating machine guns again by doing the paper work with the batf at the time i never really paid any attention to him. Of course he passed on too. He knew the way around the laws to get anything done legally. Bill

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Can an M14 be converted to select fire legally by doing the batf paperwork and paying the tax?

I had a co-worker who had his ffl's and he was into fully automatic machine guns at the time he was into taking dewats and making them into fully operating machine guns again by doing the paper work with the batf at the time i never really paid any attention to him. Of course he passed on too. He knew the way around the laws to get anything done legally. Bill
You would have to have an FFL07/SOT2 and I think have a demo request letter from military, police, other government agency. I have also heard that the ATF has gotten really strict (quite a surprise given the gang in charge there now) and will deny a demo request if they don't think the weapon requested if a relevant weapon for LEO or military.

Might also have to be registered with the state dept also due to UN regulations. Which I have heard is another $2000-3000 per year in addition to the FFL/SOT.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had a change to buy a full auto m14 for 10k legally and i turned it down. Bill

·
Registered
409 Posts
Smith Enterprise, Inc. built a "few more than 176" NFA transferrable select fire M-14 rifles before May 1986. These were billet machined receivers. Springfield Armory, Inc. made 125 NFA transferrable select fire M1A rifles before May 1986 wth investment cast receivers. These ~ 301 rifles are the only factory built commercial manufacture select fire M14 type rifles ever made. The select fire Chinese M14 rifles were made by a government owned facility, State Arsenal 356, Kunming, Yunnan, People's Republic of China. The same goes for the T57 rifle, those were produced at the 60th Arsenal, Kaoshiung, Taiwan.

For clarity, there's a difference between a select fire conversion and a reweld. In a select fire conversion, an intact semi-automatic receiver is altered after it has left the factory. Rock Island Armory, no longer in business but also owned by the Reese family, made thirty-five select fire M1A conversions before May 1986. There have been other BATF approved commercial M14 conversions performed by Hard Times Armory, R.P.B. Industries, Earl Banta, Charles Erb, Pearl Manufacutring, and Neal Smith. In the case of the M14, the operating rod rail is modified and a selector lug is added to the receiver. The select fire parts (selector shaft, switch, spring, pin and connector assembly) are then installed. As a bit of trivia, a Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A connector assembly is different than a USGI M14 connector assembly. That is because the forward underside groove on the operating rod rail of the select fire M1A is 0.030 " narrower than the USGI drawing 7790189 dimension.

A reweld refers to welding two receiver halves back together to form a firearm. For the M14, rewelds were usually done on cut USGI M14 receiver halves. Both semi-automatic (Hahn Machine and Co. and Pearl Manufacturing) and select fire (Bill Fleming, H&R Gun Co., John Norrell Arms, Inc., Neal Smith, Specialty Arms Co., and Metro Tech, Ltd.) firearms were created legally by rewelding receivers in the past. Do not do this now, it's illegal.

Based on what I've seen in the Class 3 ads over the years, a commercial manufacture select fire M14/M1A brings about the same amount as a rewelded select fire USGI M14. The ball park range over the last three or four years is $10,000 to $15,000. $12,000 seems to be a typical selling price. I haven't seen much of a price difference between a factory built select fire M14/M1A (Smith Enterprise or Springfield Armory, Inc.) or a select fire conversion of a commercial M14/M1A. FWIW and YMMV
Your knowledge is scary sometimes. I am truly impressed.

Reactions: cachunk

·
Registered
503 Posts
So no civilian in USA can own a select fire/full auto M14 prior to 1986 unles they have the appropriate paperwork? $10K - $15K for one ... wowzers ... I so wish i could shoot one of these ...
Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Smith Enterprise, Inc. built a "few more than 176" NFA transferrable select fire M-14 rifles before May 1986. These were billet machined receivers. Springfield Armory, Inc. made 125 NFA transferrable select fire M1A rifles before May 1986 wth investment cast receivers. These ~ 301 rifles are the only factory built commercial manufacture select fire M14 type rifles ever made.
Different, My question about these numbers is in reference to the Springfield Armory Ad that is shown on page 355 in Iannamico's book. It says "Last 50" in the top left of the ad but in the 2nd paragraph the description is says "this lot of 150 is the last of a breed".

I thought it was 125, did an advertiser just round up for the ad or were they planning on making 150? You might not know, just thought it was interesting.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Different, My question about these numbers is in reference to the Springfield Armory Ad that is shown on page 355 in Iannamico's book. It says "Last 50" in the top left of the ad but in the 2nd paragraph the description is says "this lot of 150 is the last of a breed".

I thought it was 125, did an advertiser just round up for the ad or were they planning on making 150? You might not know, just thought it was interesting.
It was either a typographical error or they had planned to make that many. I suspect it was a typographical error and it was only a batch of fifty rifles. I have eight of the serial numbers from the last batch of select fire M1A rifles. The serial numbers from that batch are in the 038XXX range. Nonetheless, Springfield Armory, Inc. only made 125 select fire M1A rifles at the factory. The select fire M1A did not sell well as the demand just wasn't there, in 1986.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Were Rock Island Armory conversions all on SAI manufactured receivers?
Most likely is my guess. The RIA conversions were performed by no later than May 1986. In that bygone era, there were not a lot of receivers other than those made by Valley Ordnance for Springfield Armory, Inc. I have no knowledge of any select fire conversons other than those with Springfield Armory, Inc. receivers. It's possible someone legally converted an A.R. Sales Mark IV receiver to select fire before May 1986 but such an example has not come to my attention.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was just curious. It would make sense that RIA conversions were on SAI receivers...Mine is.... But you never know?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts