M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a SEI USCG brake from Brownells. When I got it I noticed that the front section that screws onto the sight base parts wasn't lined up correctly. The two index marks on the bottom were not lined up, maybe a few degrees off. Brownells said to send it back and they'd send me a new one.

I got the new one and this one is a lot better but still just slightly off, maybe half a degree. Is this just par for the course with these? Maybe it's not essential that it lines up perfectly? Can anyone else look at theirs and confirm?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
...I got the new one and this one is a lot better but still just slightly off, maybe half a degree. Is this just par for the course with these? Maybe it's not essential that it lines up perfectly? Can anyone else look at theirs and confirm?
On mine, the one side of the index groove on the base lines up with the center of the index groove on the brake's body. More obvious is the depression in the brake body which provides clearance for the castle nut set screw. There, the set screw is clearly towards the right side of the depression looking back from the front. However, looking along the center two holes of the six hole group at the front of the brake, those two holes are to the right of the set screw and a bit to the right of the two holes in their two depressions just behind the six hole group. Whether all this is intended or, if not, that it makes any difference is a different matter; I doubt that it does in the grand scheme of things. What's probably more important is the timing of the front sight base on the barrel. I've found that the splines on both my samples tend to be a bit loose in the barrel's grooves, allowing some rotation around the barrel, which is enough to affect alignment but not really enough to affect timing much.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, looks like it might not be a big deal then. The splines fit very snug on my barrel. I had to tap it all the way on with a small nylon hammer, so I guess I'm fortunate in that area.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thanks for the reply, looks like it might not be a big deal then. The splines fit very snug on my barrel. I had to tap it all the way on with a small nylon hammer, so I guess I'm fortunate in that area.
What kind of barrel is yours installed on? Both of mine went on SAI's; a Douglas heavy SS and whatever SAI uses for their Scout and both were equally loose. I peened the Scout's barrel to get a tight fit. The one on the Super Match was replaced by a Delta P Design/JP Tactical Compensator which will soon have three siblings. GI2

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of barrel is yours installed on? Both of mine went on SAI's; a Douglas heavy SS and whatever SAI uses for their Scout and both were equally loose. I peened the Scout's barrel to get a tight fit. The one on the Super Match was replaced by a Delta P Design/JP Tactical Compensator which will soon have three siblings. GI2
It's on an LRB/Criterion chrome-lined standard weight 18.5". I was actually surprised at how tightly it fit.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
As I'm thinking of buying a USCG Brake, I thank those making comments here. After looking at the unit, I was suprised that it was not one piece. Perhaps because of ease of manufacture. I wouldn't think being off half a degree would be much to be concerned about. As I've peened all of my barrel splines even using USGI F/S, I do not see that a concern also. dozier

·
Registered
543 Posts
It's on an LRB/Criterion chrome-lined standard weight 18.5". I was actually surprised at how tightly it fit.
It might be the barrel thats giving it a tight fit. I couldn't even fit a NOS USGI flash suppressor on mine because the diameter of the threads was too large.
Dustin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts