M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys know the old saying that goes "3rd times the charm"?......

It damn sure was this time!!! - Most of you know about my situation in regards to SEI, for those that don't i bought a SEI rec from RGUNS that was defective, i sent it in for a replacement & it was also defective....

Finally got my 2nd replacement receiver & it's EXTREMELY NICE, it's still at work but I'm gonna bring it home tomorrow & I'll get some picts up ASAP.....

The rec is absolutely BEAUTIFUL with ZERO issues!!! - I test fit a bolt, oprod, barrel, rear sight, trigger group & a few mags (USGI, T57 & CMI)...

NOS GI bolt has absolutely flawless lug contact, as good as I've ever seen on a commerical receiver! - NOS GI TG fit flawlessly - Mag fit is excellent as well, the T57 & GI mags i tried were just a tad bit looser than a new CMI mag but ALL fit as they should - a new WMMW barrel hand timed about 10deg short of TDC - GI oprod (not NOS but VERY close condition wise) fit with no problem at all - rear sight fit is excellent - absolutely BEAUTIFUL engraving, a far cry from the piss poor dot matrix of my last receiver!!!

I could not be any happier with the quality of this receiver, guys it is waaaaaaaay nicer than i was expecting!!!........ My standards are VERY high & just going off of my 1st 2 SEI receivers my plan was to get the replacement & it it was good enough just build it on a good used kit, list it on GB, sell it & be DONE with SEI receivers!!! All that has changed now........ I'm EXTREMELY impressed with this receiver & it's doubtful if it will ever be sold - I've decided to build it on 1 of my NOS TRW kits & a Krieger barrel, ideally i would like a 18.5 carbon 1/10 & heavily flute it to save some weight - I'm also gonna Melonite the barrel after i finish ream the chamber.....

I LOVE MY SEI RECEIVER!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
351 Posts
I agree that is very good news...especially for you! I have a lingering question though...why the hell did it take so long?

Did they -can all of the receivers that they had previously made, and waited for a new production run?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that is very good news...especially for you! I have a lingering question though...why the hell did it take so long?

Did they -can all of the receivers that they had previously made, and waited for a new production run?

The wait wasn't too bad & it was certainly worth it! - My understanding is that all the new receivers will have the "improved" dimensions like mine as well as NICE engraving..... As far as the old receivers go i have no idea, perhaps i just got 2 bad apples & the rest are GTG.......

One things for sure & that is SEI will make it good...... John Bainer is absolutely awesome to deal with, every time i called he answered, NEVER ANY bull$hit or lies from Mr.Bainer... He is a straight shooter & all around just one hell of a nice guy, i never dealt with anyone else but if the SEI guys in AZ are only 1/2 the man Bainer is they will still be a hell of alot better than most!

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
Glad to hear that JD! I have to chuckle though, you said you doubt you will sell it. I predict it will be up for sale in six months. You have a build bug you can't get rid of. PS don't melonited the Krieger. Just had a conversation with helmut at Krieger about the temps it takes to do both meloniting and black oxide. Might change the characteristics of the barrel. Look into cerakoting it only goes up to 290 degrees

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
sei receiver

The wait wasn't too bad & it was certainly worth it! - My understanding is that all the new receivers will have the "improved" dimensions like mine as well as NICE engraving..... As far as the old receivers go i have no idea, perhaps i just got 2 bad apples & the rest are GTG.......

One things for sure & that is SEI will make it good...... John Bainer is absolutely awesome to deal with, every time i called he answered, NEVER ANY bull$hit or lies from Mr.Bainer... He is a straight shooter & all around just one hell of a nice guy, i never dealt with anyone else but if the SEI guys in AZ are only 1/2 the man Bainer is they will still be a hell of alot better than most!
hey JD is your engraving like mine or the new one, Andy at SEI told me they were gonna eventually get a machine to make the lrb type stamps, not that there is anything wrong with mine its nice and crisp just not as deep, glad to hear you have it post pics of the build when your done, im saving my penny's now to build a second SEI with ther 16" CQB barrel, i never had a dought they were gonna do you right

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
JD
After the Hoopla of the Receiver issues you had ,I was Pretty sure SEI would Not send you another Lemon. Glad you are Happy, Waiting for Pics Build and Range Report.
As for Me I will wait for more reports Before I jump in

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We do Cerakote at work..... What I'm looking for is the extended life that a Melonited barrel will give...... Melonite barrels will last like a C/L bore will & have corrosion resistance like a C/L bore, Melonite is done at around 1100deg & actually stress relieves barrels (not that a cut rifled Krieger needs stress relieving!!!)

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
You coat the bore as well? That's interesting to hear, I didn't know that. I really like that melonite finish, all my GC have been done by mike Harlow and I have to say it's a real hard solid finish. Its hard to even scratch it. I don't remember what tool I had in my hand but I dinged one of the gc pretty good and it didn't even leave a blemish. What barrel are you going to do that to? Do you plan on doing it to a Krieger? You have to let me know how that works out! Man if you can get that done to one of them and not distort the barrel you can potentially steetch the life out to a whole lot of rounds over the 5k that seems to be the magic number where some change there barrels. I am not 100% sure but I think noexpert was toying around with the idea to do a shorty Krieger at one point. I know he did his gc. I don't know if he had the inside of his gc done. None of the gc I have that were done had the inside diameters done. There is another spot that would extend the service life. Now you have me thinking. I may try an experiment when I plan on swapping out a barrel around 5k or start to see the accuracy degrade and get it melonited. I'd be curious to see if it stays the same for another few thousand rounds. Have you ever done it to a barrel before? As far as the cerakote finish, I just had a SS Krieger AR-10A2 barrel done and only time will tell if it holds up and I like it. One thing I noticed that I'm not concerned about is when I installed the front sight base it made dull lines on the surface as I dragged it over the barrel to get to the gas port. If it was parkerized a little oil and a rag would make it go away. As long as it prevents corrosion I really don't care how it looks. I have to show you that set up. I'll send you a pm.
Sounds like that build your doing with the sei is going to be all new parts! I don't know where you find them but that's cool and going to be a cool build. Hey remember we talked about freds stocks? Did you ever go there for a visit?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No we don't cote the bores......... I might be wrong but i don't believe anyone Cerakotes bores?? - Actually planning a trip to Freds soon!

I considered a Rock Creek 5R barrel I've got stashed back but I'm planning on a 18in Krieger med carbon barrel for this SEI rec

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I considered a Rock Creek 5R barrel I've got stashed back but I'm planning on a 18in Krieger med carbon barrel for this SEI rec
JD,

I do not realize that Rock Creek offers M14 barrels, when did you get this one you stashed away? Are they short chambered like what you can get from Krieger?

Nez

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
They are in stock now brother have at it before its too late. I wonder how many they actually put in stock. I am actually doing that same build right now. I don't have every part yet, just the large ones. I have get the small one like pins and stuff to finish it. Crap like having the connector lock without the connector lock pin, castle nut without the screw. What stock are you dropping it in? I am tossed up, I have a decent walnut GI and a boyds pepper laminated stock. I have to write you a PM I'll do it now.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JD,

I do not realize that Rock Creek offers M14 barrels, when did you get this one you stashed away? Are they short chambered like what you can get from Krieger?

Nez
I've got 2 stashed back, 1 med & 1 heavy.... they don't offer them anymore so good luck finding one for a reasonable price

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds like a real nice set up you are doing. I will chime in on the Melonite. I work for a FNC/Nitro Carburizine/Nitride/Melonite shop, they are all the same thing called different names. We do large OEM contracts for a bunch of gun companies, and we do barrels more than anything else, except maybe slides and frames which do a lot of too.

The FNC treatment of barrels will not harm the steel. I will call Kreiger this week and talk with them about it. Most barrels when heat stress relieved run at around 1075-1100 degrees F, which is where we run the Nitride process. The durability of the nitride is something I can write a whole post on if you want me too, same with the corrosion and wear characteristics. We do treat the bore and it will last longer than chrome lined ones do. The Corrosion resistance is better than the 400 series stainless used in rifle barrels and on par with 300 series.

Dont hesitate to hit me with a PM on the process, I am happy to explain it, and will run barrels for anybody on the boards, as I do it all the time as part of my full time job as a custom rifle builder.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
No we don't cote the bores......... I might be wrong but i don't believe anyone Cerakotes bores?? - Actually planning a trip to Freds soon!I considered a Rock Creek 5R barrel I've got stashed back but I'm planning on a 18in Krieger med carbon barrel for this SEI rec
Got your new Receiver ...And Now You're FEELING LUCKY!!!

Oh Yeah!!!

If That Works Out...I'll Be Sending You Some $ For You To Buy Us Lottery Tickets!!!

GI1

CAVman in WYoming

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.