M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning. I installed a VLTOR CASV rail and mounted an optic on a friend's M1A. It WAS equipped with an SEI extended bolt release PN2003. I was at the benchrest range, bolt locked to rear, inserted 10 round magazine loaded with 3 rounds, pushed top of bolt release to send bolt into battery, and the bolt release fractured. I reached out to SEI CS but nothing yet from them. I am trying to find a replacement to get my buddy up and running but all my go-to sources are out of stock on this part. Does anyone have know a source or have a spare I can purchase? I ordered a GI bolt catch from SARCO to get him going until I can locate an SEI PN2003. Thanks in advance. Pics of failed bolt release attached.

Semper Fidelis,

CA Wood Road surface Flooring Grey Asphalt
Tints and shades Composite material Metal Jewellery Font

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
I'm pretty sure all bolt locks are cast. They usually wear out because folks use them as a bolt release, instead of releasing the bolt the proper way.

If the Sarco lock is used, check for wear at the contact area. If it's worn, don't waste your time installing it. It won't hold the bolt back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm pretty sure all bolt locks are cast. They usually wear out because folks use them as a bolt release, instead of releasing the bolt the proper way.

If the Sarco lock is used, check for wear at the contact area. If it's worn, don't waste your time installing it. It won't hold the bolt back.
I’ve always thought it was more of a bolt stop. I just pull back on op rod handle and let her rip. I don’t want to have to worry about OOB firings that way.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I appreciate all the good feedback. I run GI bolt stops on all of my personal M1As. I need the SEI bolt release so I can return the rifle to my friend as it was given to me. Seems like the right thing to do.
I sent you an email. I wasn’t able to reply on the forum message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
"Death From Above"
11,921 Posts
Just put a USGI one in. I had problems with mine over ten years ago. Looks like they still didn't get them right, Mine were too soft and not hardened correctly. Stopped working under 100 rounds, it was easy to see what the problem was.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really needed to just find the part to put my friend's rifle back in the condition it was in when it was handed off to me-not a lecture on M1A/M14 manual of arms. Don Collier squared me away with the SEI part at a great price. Thank you, Don. Problem solved, problem staying solved. Maybe SEI should amend the name of PN 2003. It is currently "Extended Bolt Stop/Release". The intent was to make emergency reloads more comparable to the M16 platform for us "Boots" (I'm 57 YOA) that are more familiar sending the bolt into battery with support side thumb for a right-handed shooter. Thanks again to Don Collier for staying on point and getting the mission accomplished.

Semper Fidelis,

CA

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I really needed to just find the part to put my friend's rifle back in the condition it was in when it was handed off to me-not a lecture on M1A/M14 manual of arms. Don Collier squared me away with the SEI part at a great price. Thank you, Don. Problem solved, problem staying solved. Maybe SEI should amend the name of PN 2003. It is currently "Extended Bolt Stop/Release". The intent was to make emergency reloads more comparable to the M16 platform for us "Boots" (I'm 57 YOA) that are more familiar sending the bolt into battery with support side thumb for a right-handed shooter. Thanks again to Don Collier for staying on point and getting the mission accomplished.

Semper Fidelis,

CA
It is all well-intended, and is what is. Good for you honoring original intent.

It is considerate, and your friend is lucky to have the consideration.

·
Premium Member
20,834 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.
I think most intend to help others and prevent them from making the same error. Totally agree the /release should be removed from the nomenclature. Obviously, for anyone that actually understands the M14, it was just a marketing ploy to appeal to those familiar with the M15.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts