M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a state that requires shirt, shoes, pants and now face masks to get service. Was wondering if y'alls seen any funny, strange or just scary face masks while out and about? Strangely I haven't. So I thought it might be fun to find a realistic mouth/smile mask and stitch up a patch of Hitler 'stache. Being that I am a subject of newsom. if I knew how to sew using a machine I might make some masks with a fly (no not the insect).

·
Registered
523 Posts
Funny ha ha? or funny stupid....

Among my other cert's and specialized training, I'm respirator certified, so I see lots of funny stupid ones.

If it's such a big deal, why are there not daily schooling's on the news about the proper way of fitting or wearing a mask? or the correct way of removing gloves? The list is long....

I would say 95-98% of the people I see are just being good sheep and doing what TV says, with zero clue as to how, why or the real effectiveness.

The ones with designer masks are just so deeply ingrained with doing what big brother says, they felt the need to spend $30-40 on lining someone else's pocket who is profiting on the suffering of others.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ive been certified in respirator and I know what your talking about with the gloves. I worked among the bottom rung of American laborers during the Baaken boom and I saw some truly hilarious stuff. One training they made us remove gloves with shaving cream in our palms. Dudes were getting it on their faces. One week session I was in over H2S/5 gas, a guy was directed to shave his beard or lose his position and he couldn't comply didn't understand why. At the Murphy driving class an ex trucker answered the question of what percentage of your daily milage do you go in reverse with "50%". We called him Mr. Reverso for the rest of the week. Anyway, yeah I'm seeing the stupid out there.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Much to the great irritation of my significant other, I either bust out laughing or at the very least chuckle every time I see some guy with a beard sticking out all over. She's not impressed at all...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Ive been certified in respirator and I know what your talking about with the gloves. I worked among the bottom rung of American laborers during the Baaken boom and I saw some truly hilarious stuff. One training they made us remove gloves with shaving cream in our palms. Dudes were getting it on their faces. One week session I was in over H2S/5 gas, a guy was directed to shave his beard or lose his position and he couldn't comply didn't understand why. At the Murphy driving class an ex trucker answered the question of what percentage of your daily milage do you go in reverse with "50%". We called him Mr. Reverso for the rest of the week. Anyway, yeah I'm seeing the stupid out there.
I worked in the oil industry all my adult life, 4 yrs on drilling rigs and 30yrs in a refinery. H2S gas was the worst killer we had. When it came to working around it, we did not bother with half or full mask cartridge respirators, we went straight to SCBA's. We also had beard and mustache regs. They were simple, no beards or mustaches below the corner of your mouth. Similar to military grooming standards. Even then, we had guys who would just complain and say, "I'll just crack the bypass around the regulator". I said great, now your 20 minute bottle is going to last you 5 minutes. The company finally had to enforce it. In our safety huddle at the beginning of each shift, as the foreman was talking he was checking beards and mustaches. Too long and the foreman gave you a choice, razor in a package with shaving cream, or sent home with a letter of reprimand and a 1 day suspension. Do that two more times and you were history. Your pick. Most guys started leaving an electric razor in their locker. I saw the same thing during lockdown. Guys with beards wearing half mask cartridge respirators, bought from Home Depot, to be used for painting. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
9,125 Posts
Funny ha ha? or funny stupid....

Among my other cert's and specialized training, I'm respirator certified, so I see lots of funny stupid ones.

If it's such a big deal, why are there not daily schooling's on the news about the proper way of fitting or wearing a mask? or the correct way of removing gloves? The list is long....

I would say 95-98% of the people I see are just being good sheep and doing what TV says, with zero clue as to how, why or the real effectiveness.

The ones with designer masks are just so deeply ingrained with doing what big brother says, they felt the need to spend $30-40 on lining someone else's pocket who is profiting on the suffering of others.
Amen, it amazes me how quickly the general public will simply throw away their rights when they think they are doing something that makes them feel like they are the center of their own little world.

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
I'm sick to death of seeing any masks.
I'm deathly afraid that if, being in the wrong mood, the next time I see someone hiking alone or riding a bicycle up a country road wearing a mask with no else in sight for miles, I might snap and stop the truck and beat the living stuffing out of him for being so friggin' stupid.

He doesn't belong on my roads.

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Today I had to go into my local bank branch. While standing in line, I wondered what the bank cameras were doing for facial recognition with all of us wearing masks. I found out. I and a couple of other guys and gals were wearing hats. A ball cap in my case. A branch employee went down the line telling us all to take off our hats immediately!!! Hell, all they'll get is a bright flash off my dome!!! -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The funny mask I saw was just yesterday. It was the one some older gal at the post office tried to hand me for my use. I walked in and followed the directional lanes divided by stick stands and ribbon tape. The only reason I even did that is because of the customer at the counter. Otherwise I would have bee lined right to the counter instead of taking the long scenic route.
Passing by the postal clerk says, "excuse me sir but you are supposed tow ear a mask in the federal PO." I replied, "I don't have one and I won't wear one.'' No sooner did I get the words out of my mouth the old gal pulls one out of her purse and extends her hand towards me. "No, thank you. I'd rather breath oxygen then carbon dioxide." She quickly stuffed it back in her purse, finished her visit, and left.
The clerk had no problem doing business with me after and never said another word about it. She has seen me there several times over the last few weeks. Oddly I had just mentioned to someone earlier that day that I had been waiting for someone to object to my choice of my non mask wearing practice. The day before in Lowels everyone was giving my friend and I the evil eye but no words were exchanged.

I guess this is the new abnormal.

·
Registered
8,638 Posts
I got a couple made from old shirts I wash & wear over & over. One still has a button on it, drives people nutz!USNA
Days when I wear a white medical one I take a Sharpie & draw a big #3 on it!
One my buds had "F Troop" written on his...USN2

1 - 20 of 31 Posts