M14 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some good feedback on what I can do with my "new" armorer rehabbed IBM M1 Carbine. I purchased it from Miltech because of their reputation for doing it right. It's 100% expertly inspected and any out of spec parts are replaced before it gets shipped to my local gun store looking like it did in 1944. HOWEVER, the wood is my issue. It looks like a new commercial stock was used, which is great in terms of how we might expect a brand new firearm to look but this is, after all, 75+ year old classic and I'd like the wood to look a bit more aged and certainly less pristine. I had it in my mind that the wood would look rough and dark like the attached pic from Miltech's website. I don't want it to be one of the beat to death RTI models with paint, etc. on it but something rougher, even dull rather than glossy and new like a brand new Mini 14. A family member recommending the black patina product included in the picture and I've now tested it on the upper handguard. In my opinion, it looks slightly darker than the rest of the stock but certainly not dulled down or rough.

I'm trying to be very careful as I'm far from an expert on woodworking or finishing. For example, I'd assume that some sanding prior to using this patina might work but I'd like some feedback before doing so. Any help form my fellow shooters that appreciate these classics would be most appreciated.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts