M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wet sanded to 800 gritt, and just rub off the slurry. buff with a car rag micro-fiber. That the shine I got. Still have to wax yet. I took the ferrule off to fix the top crack; the brass pin job was done by somebody else, that the way it was when I bought the stock. Can someone tell me how to do the thumb nail when I put on a new ferrule.

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
Wes,
I know what you are saying about the JB Weld.
What I'm asking is if anyone knows how to get the "thumb nail" imprint back in the ferrule. Do I just hammer it with a big screwdriver ??
OK - clean the wood ferrule area (end of the stock with acidtone or denatured alcohol). Apply the JD Weld to the wood (end of the stock) that the metal ferrule will slide over - not to much as it will expand when the ferrule goes on. Then take a block of wood on top of the metal ferrule - line up the crimps/ferrule and use a ball peen hammer to tap the ferrule back on the end of the stock. Be sure the butt plate is on a solid surface I.e. The floor - tap the wood block until the ferrule sits down flush and bottoms out on the stock. Wipe off any JB Weld that might expand out and let it dry! The wood block and ball peen hammer puts even pressure across the ferrule!

Good Luck - go slow but firm as needed!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.