M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth the special order?

My FFL said SA will make them up that way if requested. I'm a little old school, so I like the idea, but I hear the muzzle break is terrific on the Scout. And I don't know if I am patient enough to wait on a special order with the suppressor.

So if I had to weed out a question here, I guess I am asking the guys who have the Scout with the muzzle break "How effective is the break, and would you rather have the suppressor?"

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I have found........

I have found the Smith muzzle brake to be the most effect option on the Scout - and, with it mounted, is only slightly longer than the SOCOM. At least that is what I have found that works best for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The post-ban M1A "no bayonet lug" flash suppressor fits fine on a Scout; the pre-ban "lugged" FS cannot be used, as the bayonet would hit the now much-closer (on a Scout) gas cylinder plug before it clicks into place... and the post-ban flash suppressor above shouldn't be a "special order" item...

I personally have the Smith Vortex on my Scout, as it eliminates more flash versus the SA flash suppressor. (I would think that this would be more critical on an 18"-barreled Scout, where there's more possibility of unburned powder igniting at the muzzle versus a full-sized 22.5" barrel)

Rearward recoil was not appreciably lessened by that original muzzle brake on the Scout (when I first got it); what it did help with was barrel rise...but the difference is minimal, IMHO... (in my humble opinion)

By the way, my Scout had the muzzle brake as the standard versus an option...

Happy Holidays !! >:)

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Griff said:
Is it worth the special order?

My FFL said SA will make them up that way if requested. I'm a little old school, so I like the idea, but I hear the muzzle break is terrific on the Scout. And I don't know if I am patient enough to wait on a special order with the suppressor.

So if I had to weed out a question here, I guess I am asking the guys who have the Scout with the muzzle break "How effective is the break, and would you rather have the suppressor?"
My Scout started out with a standard MB, then I had the FS installed, now I'm going with the Vortex DC. You can see some pictures HERE
The break is effective and loud. The GI FS is quieter with just a bit of muzzle rise. I am told the Vortex is perfection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.