M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here we go again. I finally decided to sell one of my old trusty rifles and if all goes well, I should have enough funds for the purchase of a M1A. Now the question comes down to which? Is there a an advantage in choosing the Springfield Loaded M1A over the Scout variant or the other way around? If funds were not an issue, I would buy both but unfortunately funds are tight these days so I must choose wisely. Any help or first had experience will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Hermann.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I have a Loaded now. It's a great range gun which makes it a perfect rifle for me. It has more accuracy than I can take advantage of with the iron sights. It's heavier than a Standard M1A because of the medium-weight barrel. This makes it a little harder to carry over a long distance, but it also makes it easier to shoot.

I just handled a Scout at a local gun store yesterday. My immediate impression was, "this gun is noticeably lighter than my Loaded." It was easier to point and maneuver, but I imagine it is probably a little less accurate than a Loaded.

I liked it, I liked it a lot, but I'd never trade my Loaded for one because the weight of the Loaded isn't a disadvantage for me and the longer length isn't an issue at the range.

So it's up to you. Each rifle has an advantage over the other. You just have to decide what advantage is right for you and the kind of shooting you do.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I agree with the previous posts. Great points.

Also bear in mind the advantages and disadvantages aren't a night and day difference. There are plenty of Scout and SOCOM shooters who could outshoot me at the range and the Loaded only weighs a half pound more than a Scout.

You really can't go wrong here. Those are the best kinds of decisions to make.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Well, here we go again. I finally decided to sell one of my old trusty rifles and if all goes well, I should have enough funds for the purchase of a M1A. Now the question comes down to which? Is there a an advantage in choosing the Springfield Loaded M1A over the Scout variant or the other way around? If funds were not an issue, I would buy both but unfortunately funds are tight these days so I must choose wisely. Any help or first had experience will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Hermann.
What do you want to do with it?

FWIW I have a loaded model that I've messed with to where it is more or less a national match. I think that is the model to buy since the NM can be found used for 1500 or so bucks and it's bedded and unitized.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree ...I would not sacrifice accuracy for a lighter M1A, especially when I intend to use it s a bench rifle. So far, the Loaded has a bit of a lead. But then is the accuracy advantage that great when I will mainly be shooting within 100 yards (the selection of 100+ yards shooting ranges down in South Florida are slim to non). Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
What do you want the rifle for?? If shooting targets 600 yards down range is the goal, the Loaded is the way to go. I have a Scout and bought it with a SHTF scenario in mind. It's highly accurate but the Loaded will likely out shoot it at greater distances, lighter and more maneuverable than a full size rifle as mentioned above. I also have a full size LRB so I'm familiar with the differences in the 2 weapons. If I had to run in a SHTF situation and could only take one, it would be the Scout. I have all USGI bolt guts and trigger group in the Scout so I'm not worried about reliability.

So, take some time and decide what the primary purpose of the rifle will be and go from there. Many people here will recommend changing the bolt extractor at a minimum on either of the rifles.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I went to buy the scout and came home with the M1A syn.Loaded. Scout was $1549 and loaded $1509 both Syn. It was a easy buy to get the loaded. Why castrate the M14 and loose power and accuracy that the battle rifle was designed for. I got a lot more bang for the buck and put on a like new G.I. DOS birch stock.Got rid of blk.syn. garbage. Looks great now off to the range,match barrel &trigger and sites in G.I.stock. The last M1A I had I sold two years ago for a hefty price a 4 digit Devine M1A NM .Those early Elmer Balance rifles had thin rec. heals prone to crack. It was a collector rifle not a shooter. Now I have a shooter not a safe queen. And with out glass bedding I can treat it like a battle rifle.

·
Banned
654 Posts
I just traded my Loaded for a Scout.

The Loaded, when fully outfitted with a quality mount/glass combo plus a 20 round mag, in addition to the heavier barrel, was an absolute BEAST.

I like to Run'N'Gun & toting that sucker at full gallop then squaring up on target off-hand was a true challenge.

Excellent bench rifle- Yes. But real-world tool to carry & engage targets out to 500 yards? I think the Scout is superior.

It all depends on how you plan to use it.
GI2

·
Registered
299 Posts
The full size M1A with irons will run gun from zero to 600yds,who needs optic's. The world standard in a full size Battle rifle.Mall ninja's want cut down sawed up castrated battle rifles. Toys are toys. Look what happened when we went to the M16-M4 platforms same goe's for short barrel 308's.Be better off going the 762x39mm Ak in a short 30 cal. rifle. In Afganastan it was the designated rifleman who was called up to take the threat out. And he fired 4 shots at 400yds plus and killed 4 with a M14.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I have Scouts, standards and a supermatch. The only ones that regularly come out to play are the Scouts. There is little noticable difference in accuracy out to 600 yds. Where the Supermatch starts to walk away from the Scouts and standard is past 600 yds. There is a big difference in weight and handling between the platforms.

One my Scouts is a SAI Bush rilfe converted to the Scout configuration. The other is a purpose built rifle on a forged 7.62MM rx with a Criterion chrome lined barrel. I run SEI Coast Guard muzzle brakes on both of my Scout length M14's which makes them nearly as short as the SOCOM but still allows the use of NATO ammo without the loss of much velocity also without the muzzle blast.

As was stated, the purpose that you intend for your rifle will really dictate which platform you will want. The Scout length is my most used M14 style rifle.

My Scout also rides along with me in my patrol car although the AR15 is a approved duty rifle. When a little extra punch is needed the Scout is GTG.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I use them for 2 very different purposes.
My scout has a red dot, hasty sling and is for getting rounds on things 100-200yds and in quickly.

My equivalents to loaded/NM guns are setup for across the course type match shooting. Or, I have one that I am going to scope.

Although as stated above, you can setup either platform for what you need.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Even beyond 600, that scout will give a full size a run for its money.

Tweak you load and I suspect that you could probably get a minute of man out to 800.

I have hit 3ft of steel at 1000 with one, open sights and standard NATO round. They are not to be discounted.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I agree ...I would not sacrifice accuracy for a lighter M1A, especially when I intend to use it s a bench rifle. So far, the Loaded has a bit of a lead. But then is the accuracy advantage that great when I will mainly be shooting within 100 yards (the selection of 100+ yards shooting ranges down in South Florida are slim to non). Decisions, decisions.
That's pretty much how I use my loaded, usually off a bench of prone with a bag. With a 10x scope and a 20rd mag it is not absurdly heavy but I'm not going to run anywhere fast with it either. Precision wise it's okay, not the sort of rifle where I take pics of the groups to brag on the internet. More along the lines of 'hunting' accuracy.

I think you could have the same sort of fun with a scout, or standard, or polytech, or whatever else you find in your budget range that isn't beat up or abused.

For pure accuracy with optics something like an AR10T. They are flattop, 2 stage trigger, free floating heavy/bull stainless barrel in 11 twist. Accuracy wise they'll run circles around most m1as and you can get one for 1200-1300 bucks. But it's a heavy pig, heavier than a NM M1A and doesn't have a lot of style to it. Just a good, basic target oriented gas gun.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If your like most of us here you'll eventually wind up with both anyway. I started out with a standard model I bought used, that had been doctored up a bit and is very accurate, it is scoped, and I use it for hunting and long range target work. I had AK's for up close work.Recently I sold off the AK's and bought a Socom 16 and now I have one for long range and a general purpose rifle that uses the same ammo and mags.(the Socom now gets used the most and is on it's way to becoming my favorite very fast.)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'll throw this out there. Have you looked into JRA M14s? I bought a 18.5" carbine and though it has a Med. weight barrel, it is noticeably handier and lighter than my 22" SAI standard. I love it.

They are a few hundred dollars more than either of the SAIs but you will get a forged steel receiver, USGI trigger group, USGI op rod, and USGI gas cylinder.

Good luck!

Reactions: hkopper
1 - 20 of 21 Posts