M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent 1/2 hour looking at previous posts regarding scout scopes and didn't really find what I was looking for.

I have an M1A Scout which I carry for my patrol rifle and support weapon on the sniper team. I have no problem with iron sights, and occasionally sticking an Aimpoint Comp M on it, but would like a longer range option.

I have a 2nd gen. mount, but any scope mounts too high for my purposes, and with the scout mount already attached, it seems silly to add even more weight, so I'm exploring the idea of a scout scope of some sort.

It has to be quality glass that can take the recoil. Burris or Loopy seem to be the only contenders so far. Variable would be peachy, but I would settle for a fixed power.

I'm sure there are opinions out there, so let's hear 'em. I'm also going to get a hold of Leupold LE and Burris to see if they have a T&E program.

Take care.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I HAVE had a Burris EER on my shorty with the scout mount for about 4 years now.
In fact, it has been bouncing around in the back of my Jeep for the last month and it was still within a minute of "dirt bag" on Sunday when I shot it. It has held up quite well.

It is my own prejudice, however it seems to be widely held also, SA mounts suck quite badly and I would never personally use a SA scope mount EXCEPT their Scout mount for any critical application.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
47 Posts
With regards to Springfield receiver scope mounts, I have used both the 1st and 3rd generation with little sucess. Both had zero-retention issues, the vertical lug deformed after about 500 rounds on both of them. I went with the old styles ARMS #18 with the #19 adapter and haven't looked back since. I have a 2X Aimpoint on the scout mount right now and zero problems so far.

I believe Leupold makes a variable 2-7X pistol scope, would this work for your application?

Later, Jeff B

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've often wondered how well a pistol scope would work. They have to take sharp recoil, and are pretty small.

I've had a couple EOTechs, and just couldn't keep 'em working. They would always crap out on me when I really needed them. Haven't had the same trouble with Aimpoints.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a hairy eyeball on Burris' 1-4 XER Compact. Can be had for around $210.

I'll empty the quarter jar out and see if I can find one in stock somewhere.

Nice thing about Burris, Loopy, etc. is that if it doesn't fit what you need, you can make a few bucks on one of the auction sites.

I'll just have to make up my mind before I paint it. Everything gets Krylon in my world :wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Leupold Scout Scope

Got the Leupold scout scope at 2.5X fixed with the quick release rings on the scout rail of my SOCOM. Can't beat it for quick acquisition on "medium" range targets, althouhg I am thinking of Bushnell HOLO or Trijicon Reflex.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.