M14 Forum banner

Scout scope woes

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  garandguy10 
#1 · (Edited)
I searched all over for a scout mount for my Loaded M1A, which has a SS medium heavy NM barrel.

I finally found one made by Amega Ranges, advertised to fit the "heavier Springfield Armory barrels" that bolts onto the barrel and replaces the fiberglass handguard (which I think looked cheap and flimsy anyway). In addition to a long forward Piccatiny rail, it has attachment points along the sides for adding additional Piccatiny or Weaver rails for lights and lasers, and came with two free Weaver rail light/laser mounts.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit.

The thickness of my medium heavy SAI barrel looks like the heavier "SOCOM" barrel pictured at http://www.amegaranges.com/M14M1A.php but I now see the thick portion on my barrel near the receiver and including the chamber area must be a little longer.

I like the concept of this mount, and I imagine it would be a great mount -- for a different barrel. I wish someone would have told me that getting the Loaded M1A would greatly limit my accessory options, and I would have gone for the standard weight barrel instead.

Does anyone know of another, similar application that will work for my barrel? Otherwise my only option will be to go with a receiver-mounted scope.

See less See more
#2 ·
Special Production Run - group buy?

I just got off the phone with Amega Ranges. They have heard from a lot of folks in my position, and are finding that the SAI Loaded models are becoming very popular. They're working on a scout mount application for the medium heavy barrels, and they say people have been getting good results drilling out the rear portion more. (This deletes the 3-bolt rear clamp just forward of the chamber area, but the remaining 12-bolt clamp near the gas cylinder area of the barrel is more than what is found standard on SAI's scout mounts. In addition to a full-length rail, Amega's mount also reportedly has superior heat-dissipating design, so less worry of a "cooked scope.")

Amega is planning to do a special production run to fit SAI Loaded medium-heavy barrels in January.

+1 for their service: they offered to exchange the one I bought from TJ General Store Online that doesn't fit for one from the special production run.

What's more, they were very receptive to the idea of a discounted group buy for this forum. First they want to get an idea of whether there is sufficient interest, so let me know.

#3 ·
I would definitely be interested in buying at least one and possibly two.

All of my M1A's have the "Loaded" barrel (except for my SOCOM of course) and I would like to try one of the scout set-ups.

Please keep us posted if you get more info on when the mounts for the heavier barrels will be available.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Take it from someone who had a forward clamp to the barrel scope mount on a 2012 Scout.
The last thing I would do is clamp a mount to the barrel.
Especially a Loaded model.
With a scope mounted on the forward rail, the rifle was front heavy.
I didn't like the way it felt and that was with a 18" barrel.
I believe a 22" barrel would be even more front heavy and off balanced.
There will also be a change in the barrel harmonics or whip of the barrel.
Change the harmonics, you change the repeatability/accuracy of the rifle.
What type of scope are you considering?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.