M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a S.A. Scout a while back,and thought it would pretty much be a bush rifle with a muzzle brake.Later while reading the spec. sheet from S.A. ,I find it has a unchromed bore,and is six groove with one turn in 11".The bush rifle come's with a chrome lined barrel and is a four groove,and has the standard twist.

Anyone know why they use a different barrel on the Scout model?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's Fubar.

I never did check the website,just the paper's that came with the rifle.I plan on changing the brake to a flash sup.The rifle came with a new,and very thick walnut stock.I'm changing to a synthetic soon,it's almost done.One more color to lay on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at my buddy's bush M1A this evening,and he has a 4 groove barrel.It also looks to be chrome lined.He bought his in the early 90's.I bought mine in 97.Anyone have a guess as to why they changed the gooves,and the twist,and didn't chrome the barrel's one the later rifle's?

·
Registered
846 Posts
i'm not sure but don't think they (SA inc.) ever made or had made chrome lined bush length barrels, but they probably cut USGI barrels down. it takes some skill to do this without chipping the chrome lining. the supply of chrome lined barrels is low now so it's not worth risking a wasted barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts