M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put a scout handguard on my 18.5 standard weight LRB, and I'm looking at the Ultimak, Amega, and M14.ca SHG. I'm going to run it with an Aimpoint T1 and wondering which of those hand guards will allow a cowitness? I saw a pic with the Ultimak and it looked good. Looking for input on the cowitness and what you like dislike about the handguards.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
The Ultimak will co-witness on a Scout or Socom, because of the taller front sight that those rifles use. I have used them with the Bushnell TRS-25, which is the same size as the Aimpoint.

When co-witnessing the scope, you have to take into consideration that the Ultimak/scope might not be in direct alignment with the rear sight. I have had to move the rear sight slightly left or right, so that I am looking directly thru the scope tube. Then you can re-zero the front sight, followed by co witnessing the red dot on top of the front sight post.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I run the Ultimak on my Scout. I can use the iron sights with it just fine but cannot cowitness with my scope. I am running a Burris 2x7 x 32 scout scope with Leupold QR rings. The scope is as low as it will go without contact. I'm not sure I could set it up to cowitness because like I said it is already so low. That is where the QR rings are so nice, if I had to or wanted to I can yard the scope off with no tools in the field and go with irons. What I really love about my setup is with the scope backed off to 2x I can clearly see my immediate surroundings and the reticle with both eyes open which is a huge advantage in a CQC situation.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's a fine looking rifle sirtirithon. I plan to do something very similar with my SOCOM 16. I am currently planning on finding a replacement M1A Springfield stock, the M14.CA SHG, and a Nikon force XR 2.5-8x BDC scope that RAMMAC uses.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I tried the Ultimak and SHG and both will lower 1/3 co-witness with my Aimpoint PRO. The T1 will work just as well as it mounts even lower. My 18.5 LRB as it currently stands with the Ultimak:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I ran a similar setup as Lennyo3034 for a while. The bottom 1/3 co-witness worked great. The only down side I found was heat. The Ultimak and other full handguard rails clamp to the barrel. The rail gets hot after shooting a couple mags in less than 5 minutes. I ended up installing a bottom rail and installing a Magpul AFG. That helped maintain offhand control without burning my hand.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
So that's not an issue for me, but uniquely just me. I have nerve damage to my left hand so I can't feel the heat as much as most.USN3

·
Registered
637 Posts
I ran a similar setup as Lennyo3034 for a while. The bottom 1/3 co-witness worked great. The only down side I found was heat. The Ultimak and other full handguard rails clamp to the barrel. The rail gets hot after shooting a couple mags in less than 5 minutes. I ended up installing a bottom rail and installing a Magpul AFG. That helped maintain offhand control without burning my hand.
I haven't experienced any issues with the rail getting hot but I don't shoot a lot of rounds in a short period of time. I let the barrel cool down after 5-10 rounds. I'm sure I would run into some issues if I ran a few 20 round mags through it rapid fire. The heat waves off the rail would probably interfere with the scope as well as burn my hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.