M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent my new socom to springfield because the trigger assembly was defective and causing light hammer strikes, while there I had them do a trigger job and front and rear sight replacement to a standard rear aperture and nm front. Finally got it to the range today and with the rear sight adjusted to it lowest position it was shooting 16" heigh. I can't understand why they put install a scout sight, seems like a rifle height would be the correct height. Has anyone had experience with this?

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
It's not impossible that the stock is the problem.

Maybe someone who has put nee sights on the soccer can help.

For a bottomed out rear a taller front sight would lower poi.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
Interesting, I had to mill my front sight down and it's the original Tritium sight.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That combo of NM Scout front sight and standard rear aperture normally works.
It does on my Socom 16.

If it is shooting high than the Scout front sight is not high enough.
One thing to check is the rear aperture to make sure it is ground down at the end. If not, you will have to file it down so it will go lower.
Some pictures for you.

Left is a NOS GI rear aperture unmodified. Right is an SAI rear aperture I filed down.

Another view.

I have heard of Socom's shooting high even with the factory XS sights.
If that is the case, you may have to send it back to SAI.

Glenn

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That combo of NM Scout front sight and standard rear aperture normally works.
It does on my Socom 16.

If it is shooting high than the Scout front sight is not high enough.
One thing to check is the rear aperture to make sure it is ground down at the end. If not, you will have to file it down so it will go lower.
Some pictures for you.

Left is a NOS GI rear aperture unmodified. Right is an SAI rear aperture I filed down.

Another view.

I have heard of Socom's shooting high even with the factory XS sights.
If that is the case, you may have to send it back to SAI.

Glenn
Thanks for that advise. In frustration I replaced the sights with the original last night and was going to the range to shoot it with the original sights and stock to see where it hits. The rear aperture is milled down like the one in the picture

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Thanks for that advise. In frustration I replaced the sights with the original last night and was going to the range to shoot it with the original sights and stock to see where it hits. The rear aperture is milled down like the one in the picture
Good plan.
See how it does with the original XS sights and stock.
I have the original sights back on my Socom because I had to get progressive lenses. The smaller aperture would blur on me.
I did a modification to the front sight a few years ago when I first got mine to help with accuracy.

Filed down front sight for better accuracy.

A closer look.

I hope you work ot your issues a the range today.
Good Luck,
Glenn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts